Author Topic: Alexander Rennie in Kilsyth - grave marker  (Read 4149 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Alexander Rennie in Kilsyth - grave marker
« on: Thursday 07 July 16 04:54 BST (UK) »
I just returned to Texas from a trip to the Rhineland, Scotland, and London.  I have a Scottish fifth cousin with whom I have corresponded regarding family history for over four years.  He was kind enough to book us a stay at Allanfauld Farm B&B, a delightful combination of working farm and hospitality suite that is expertly managed by Libby who is a charming and industrious hostess.  Do book a stay if you can, because it is uniquely serene and picturesque location.

My cousin and I descend from a common ancestor who managed Allanfauld Farm.  He was 'Deacon' Alexander Rennie (1752-1828).  I took a number of pics of the gravestone, but I doubt that I am gleaning all of the information it provides.  I do know something about the 'Deacon' , but I am missing a great deal.  Please clue me in if you can.  It seems that I can not post a legible image of the stone.  I will be happy to provide pics in a way that do not encounter size restrictions.

Alexander's will disposed of an estate of  £797 and 3 shillings 6 pence.  This sum is equivalent to a present day valuation of £2,511,000 when calculated as capital available for investment as a percentage of the United Kingdom's GDP for the year 1828.  Alexander left a bequest of £250 to his youngest son, James Mathie Rennie, who was my  3rd great grandfather.  Alexander states that James Mathie Rennie is living in his household (he was 19 years old) and the bequest was larger than the  £100 left to the older son, Robert Rennie, who is described as "flesher [butcher] in Glasgow".  Presumably Robert had already received a sum from the estate to set him up in business. Alexander's will describes his intention to obtain an equitable disposition, after providing for resolution of his debts and the maintenance of his widow, of the remaining estate among his numerous heirs.  Alexander's first wife and their two children predeceased Alexander and left no issue.  His second marriage with Elizabeth Ker resulted in eleven children.

The namesake for James Mathie Rennie was the writer (attorney in Scottish parlance) James Mathie (1758-1795) who served as Clerk of the Trades House of of Glasgow from 1790 to 1795.  Another James Mathie, a writer in Stirling, appeared at the Testament Dative and Inventory (probate) in 1809.  I am not sure what the family relationship was between the two James Mathies.       
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Rennie in Kilsyth - grave marker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
Here is the top portion of the marker.  It appears to be a seperate piece.  At the top the incised carving reads Alanfauld 1894.  I think this is a later addition to the stone.  The other carving is in bas relief in the form of a shield or coat of arms with the date 1661.  I do not know the significance of the date.  My cousin communicated with Lord Lyon and was informed that no coat of arms was found to be registered to Alexander Rennie.  I am wondering whether this stone was part of a farm building at Allenfauld where Alexander Rennie was the tenant farmer.     
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
The first line appears to read "AM AC 1745".  I don't know what this refers to.
The second line reads "AR EK 1796".  AR would be Alexander Rennie and EK would be Elizabeth Ker, his wife.  I do not know what the 1796 date refers to.  They were married in 1787.  Their eleven children were born from 1788 to 1809.  The next line reads "In Memorium".  The next two lines read "Alexander his son who died 12th Nov 1836 aged two years".  This refers to the son of John Rennie, 2nd son of the Deacon, who married Grace Young on 17 Aug 1830.  The next two lines are "Grace Young his wife (illegible) 9 Apr 1888 aged 89 years".  She was born 13 Dec 1799. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 16 22:11 BST (UK) »
Alexander Rennie was possibly a deacon of one of the Glasgow Trades. Google the Trades House, Glasgow.

Skoosh.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 16 22:42 BST (UK) »
I don't think that is likely, Skoosh.  I have mined the Trades House material extensively and I  dont find a mention of Alexander.  Alexander Rennie was the tenant farmer of Alanfauld.  Alexander was however closely associated with the Reverend Doctor Robert Rennie, D.D whom he referred to in correspondence as "my brother".  Robert Rennie's second wife was Isabella Auchincloss who was the daughter of Robert Auchincloss.  Robert Auchincloss served as Deacon Convener of the Guild of Coopers (1781-1782), Trade Counselor (1787), and Member of the General Session of the Directors and Managers of the Town's Hospital in Glasgow.

Isabella Auchincloss was also the widow of James Mathie who was Clerk of the Trades House of Glasgow from 1790 until his  death in 1795.  James Mathie was succeeded as Clerk by his brother Benjamin who held the office from 1795 until 1831.  Benjamin was also part owner of the Glasgow Herald and author of 'View of the History, Constitution, and Funds, of the Trades' House of Glasgow' (1827).  Their father was David Mathie who served as Preses of the Grand Antiquity Society of Glasgow (1776).

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 16 05:16 BST (UK) »
The following link will take you to a view of the old churchyard in Kilsyth on the day of our visit. My cousin is 6' 6" and my wife is a foot shorter.  The Alexander Rennie and Rev. Dr. Robert Rennie markers are on the right side of the frame adjacent to each other and set into the ground in the horizontal plane. 
  https://www.flickr.com/photos/124304610@N07/27503105014/in/dateposted-public/

Offline CBryce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
I searched all the Deacons known to the Trades House and there is no mention of Alexander Rennie, there is however a mention of John Rennie, Deacon in 1860 and 1873 in the Incorporation of Masons of Glasgow.   That John Rennie may be a relation and he resided at: 407 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow and he Died: 7 June 1878.

If you wish a photograph of him, can I suggest that you visit www.tradeshousemuseum.org and leave a message in the [CONTACT US] page and one will be sent free of charge.

Best of luck in your research.

Craig R. Bryce.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful reply, Craig.  My cousin and I have debated whether the appellation of "Deacon" for my ancestor was a title from association with the trades of Glasgow.  My best guess is that it derives from close association with the Reverend Minister who might have encouraged Alexander to accept an oath to minor ecclesiastical orders.     

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
TC,  the 17th cent' arms on the stone don't match any of the Trades Incorporations arms, it looks like the letters A? & S above the shield then under that there's a line cut on the stone & it appears that any lettering below that has been removed & the stone re-used in the 18th cent'. Who were the heritors in Kilsyth parish in 1661 the date on the stone? The Stirling's were certainly prominent landowners in that area.
 It was common to re-allocate the lairs in old cemeteries & sell them off, clearing any markers. Your ancestor has probably purchased this lair & kept the stone & arms, any burials below it would just be cut through when needed. The stone could even have come from elsewhere, was there a family burial plot at Allanfauld?

Skoosh.