Author Topic: Andrew Mcdowall and Agnes McKeand in Penninghame, Wigtown, Scotland.  (Read 7014 times)

Offline marg06

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Mcdowall and Agnes McKeand in Penninghame, Wigtown, Scotland.
« on: Thursday 07 July 16 05:03 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information on the marriage and life together of Andrew McDowall and Agnes McKeand. They were the parents of Andrew McDowall baptised 27 Aug 1779 at Penninghame, Wigtown, Scotland. The son Andrew migrated to Australia(date unknown) and died near Albury NSW in 1877. a newspaper(Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Thursday 19 July 1877, page 1) stated "On the 11 Jul 1877 at Piney Range station NSW Andrew McDowall late of Kirkalla Wigtownshire Scotland aged 97" . This Andrew had married Jean/Jane Rankin (Rankine) on 30 Apr 1826 at Penninghame,Wigtown,Scotland.
with thanks
Margaret

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Mcdowall and Agnes McKeand in Penninghame, Wigtown, Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 July 16 06:14 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has some records for Scotland, though not complete for all events and areas:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1986318?region=Scotland

Are you familiar with Scotlands People? You need to register and purchase credits to view instantly downloadable documents, but cost is reasonable. It would be an idea to have a good look around the site as everything you need to know about record availalbilty and how to search is there:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

There are also some records specific to Wigtownshire which you can find if you google some appropriate search terms, such as wigtownshire parish registers.

Added: as you have a specific date of baptism for Andrew jnr I take it you have his baptism? Did you get his parent's names from this baptism or from his Australian death certificate?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 July 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
As Ruskie mentions, there are a number of great sites for the county. There is this one for example which provides BMD notices from the local Wigtownshire Free Press http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ainsty/wfp/intro.html

From the deaths database, there is this entry http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ainsty/wfp/deaths/15.html

M'DOWALL/RANKINE, Jane - D4/11/1843 - Suddenly at Dalmellington, on the fourth inst., aged 55 years, Jane Rankine, wife of Mr Andrew M'Dowall, late farmer in Drumbrennan, parish of Kirkowen

Is this son Andrew's wife that you mention? Just wondering about the term 'late farmer' as it can be read a number of ways.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 July 16 23:13 BST (UK) »
I couldn't resist Googling.

You might find yourself related to some of these people.
http://scotlandskillingtimes.com/wp/?cat=2002

This doesn't answer your question but page 24 mentions the distribution of the surname McDowall at the time of the hearth tax.
http://theses.gla.ac.uk/2786/1/2009KerrMPhil.pdf

Your Andrew's baptism is here, but there's not an obvious record for his father.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ainsty/parishes/penninghame/opr/mcdonald.htm

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 July 16 23:32 BST (UK) »
I couldn't resist Googling.

You might find yourself related to some of these people.
http://scotlandskillingtimes.com/wp/?cat=2002

i've never seen that site before Hurworth. Love the sign! I'll be interested to see if I can find any of OH's family names on that.  :)

Offline marg06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 July 16 04:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for some great sites to explore. I now have many more clues to pursue. Still unable to find any migration record from Scotland to Australia. From what you have provided it seems possible that Andrew's wife Jean died in 1843 and he may after migrated after that date with my ancestor his daughter Helen Hair McDowal. Are there any suggestions on sites to explore Scottish migration in this time frame?

Margaret

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 July 16 04:42 BST (UK) »
See how these baptisms from the link above mention Glenruther:

McDOWALL   Andrew   Andrew   Agnes McKeand   M   Aug 27, 1779   190   Glenruther   
McDOWALL   Alexander   Andrew   Agnes McKeand   M   Jul 22, 1777   171   Glenruther   
McDOWALL   William   Andrew   Agnes McKeand   M   Dec 07, 1784   235   Glenvernoch   

ScotlandsPeople has this will.
25   MACDOWALL   ANDREW   12/05/1790   IN GLENRUTHER      TESTAMENT DATIVE AND INVENTORY   WIGTOWN COMMISSARY COURT   CC22/3/4A   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 July 16 04:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for some great sites to explore. I now have many more clues to pursue. Still unable to find any migration record from Scotland to Australia. From what you have provided it seems possible that Andrew's wife Jean died in 1843 and he may after migrated after that date with my ancestor his daughter Helen Hair McDowal. Are there any suggestions on sites to explore Scottish migration in this time frame?

Margaret

It sounds like you want to find the immigration records for the family. There will be no records on the Scottish end I don't think, though there are a few records on Find My Past for outgoing immigrants (what their coverage isI have no idea).

Have you checked the NSW immigration indexes?

There are always people who just seem to appear on another country with no record of their immigration to be found. Sometimes they are free settlers rather than assisted so the authorities were not as interested in them, sometimes they are indexed vaguely, eg McDowall family, sometimes surnames are spelled differently.

It might be an idea to ask for help finding their immigration on the Australia board. Provide a link to this thread to give some background info.

Offline marg06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 July 16 05:01 BST (UK) »

Margaret

It sounds like you want to find the immigration records for the family.
Have you checked the NSW immigration indexes?

Yes I have looked unsuccessfully so far for immigration into Victoria and NSW. The different spellings of McDowall/Mcdowell/Mcdouall.