Author Topic: Displaying 3-dimensional family relationship charts  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Displaying 3-dimensional family relationship charts
« on: Thursday 07 July 16 14:49 BST (UK) »
I have just completed a new project - and one which finds current chart display options wanting. I have been exploring my ancestral home village in Northamptonshire where oddly there is a street named after our family. The street is only actually named in two England censuses -1891 and 1911 (3 if you count the 1939 Register) and contains about 20 cottages. I used the 1911 census as a base where there are none of my family members listed by name. I have now explored the family trees of every household - and 19 of the 20 are linked by blood or by marriage (or both!). There are cousin marriages (including one 1st cousin pairing); one woman who married her dead husband's brother, illegitimacies galore etc etc. - and all can show links back to my own family.

My original interest in this idea was the Social Anthropological assertion that during most of human history, people have lived in small, isolated communities of between three and five hundred people. In nineteenth century rural England the radius of the pool of potential spouses was about five miles which was the distance a man could comfortably walk twice on his day off when he went courting. This meant that after six generations or so there are only third cousins or closer to marry and have in fact probably been closer to the genetic equivalent of first cousins. I'm not sure how much this is considered in "normal" family history charting but this project does seem to confirm it in microcosm.

The problem is that it is impossible to represent this street kinship genealogy on a simple 2 dimensional tree chart. I would like to see some sort of extension to charting facilities to include extended family relationships. I did come across something called Pajek which supposedly works on GEDCOM files but I got lost in the technical arguments.

Given the depth of complexity in the relationships in this one small study it is not always easy to write an account which is both succinct and easy to follow for the reader. So far I have come up with putting a series of side by side charts which can be clicked on to show common names and descendancies. It seems some sort of three dimensional matrix model that you could turn to examine names and connections would be one possible answer.  I just wondered if anyone had come across any ideas that might be worth exploring.

I have written up the results in an article for our own website. If you would like to see the article please send me a PM and I'll send you the link.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Displaying 3-dimensional family relationship charts
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 July 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
There have been a number of 3d genealogy programs which upon initial inspection would suit your purpose much netter than Pajek - search Google/Bing etc. for 3d Genealogy - for example https://progenygenealogy.com/products/3d-family-tree.aspx.

Personally I've never been convinced of the usefulness of 3d presentation and wonder if some sort of Timeline might not present your data in a more "user friendly" fashion.
again an example from Google (strangely from the same company as the 3D example) https://progenygenealogy.com/products/timeline-charts.aspx
just search for Genealogy timeline software .....

Mapping software is another option but as you have indicated that your research covers a very small geographic area this might not suit. (unless used to show the spread of individuals/families from your street )

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Three ideas...

1 You might be able to adapt this idea:

http://www.aviz.fr/geneaquilts/

2 Depending upon your technical ability you could probably use the google Maps API to come up with something useful.

3 For something on the scale of a small village you could literally build a 3D model using simple meshes to represent buildings etc and add connecting labels.

My original interest in this idea was the Social Anthropological assertion that during most of human history, people have lived in small, isolated communities of between three and five hundred people. In nineteenth century rural England the radius of the pool of potential spouses was about five miles which was the distance a man could comfortably walk twice on his day off when he went courting

I wouldn't give that theory the time of day, it just doesn't match the facts (except perhaps in very specific and unusual circumstances).

Paul

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 16 07:35 BST (UK) »
Always interested in looking at alternative ideas
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 July 16 08:14 BST (UK) »

My original interest in this idea was the Social Anthropological assertion that during most of human history, people have lived in small, isolated communities of between three and five hundred people. In nineteenth century rural England the radius of the pool of potential spouses was about five miles which was the distance a man could comfortably walk twice on his day off when he went courting. This meant that after six generations or so there are only third cousins or closer to marry and have in fact probably been closer to the genetic equivalent of first cousins. I'm not sure how much this is considered in "normal" family history charting but this project does seem to confirm it in microcosm.

Alan

Having been brought up in a small village I have always had a problem with the distances expressed in such studies.

The reason being some my school friends from outlying farms would walk at least three miles before getting to the road where the school bus would take them to school and would be faced with a similar walk after being dropped off by the bus after school 5 days a week including winter. In addition miners often had long walks to the coal face from the bottom of the shaft.
Five miles may seem a long walk to modern eyes but to our ancestors five miles was commonplace and I would suggest ten would be a more realistic “distance a man could comfortably walk twice on his day off when he went courting”.

Think of it this way if your ancestor lived five miles from the market (a commonly claimed travel distance for a trader to travel to market) and met someone he/she was attracted to at the market it would be quite likely that they had come from a different direction to the market than he/she.
The distance they lived from each other could therefore easily be up to ten or twelve miles.
Think also if they could travel five miles back from market carrying purchases, they could surely travel twice that distance to visit the girl they were attracted to.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 July 16 09:06 BST (UK) »
Think also if they could travel five miles back from market carrying purchases, they could surely travel twice that distance to visit the girl they were attracted to.

Exactly. Also think about the women from the Midlands who would walk to Kent for hop-picking, the horse, the introduction of railways, the roof of a mail coach. It's on a par with the idea that you can identify and date furniture etc because craftsmen could only sell in the area to which they could walk. It's sentimentally appealing but just doesn't hold water. I have a collection of ancient artefacts found in Staffordshire, many of which were made in continental Europe; I'm sure they didn't all get here just by hand-to-hand transmission.