Author Topic: Shoemakers in Aberdeen  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
Shoemakers in Aberdeen
« on: Friday 08 July 16 06:18 BST (UK) »
Several of my ancestors were Shoemakers in Aberdeen City during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. George and Alexander Adam were brothers and both Shoemakers, active from about 1775-1820. George's son Davidson Adam also became a Shoemaker, active from about 1800-1845. He was listed as a Master Shoemaker on his 1857 DC. I sent a letter requesting any information in their records to the Seven Incorporated Guilds in Aberdeen.

Does anyone have any other advice on how I may find out more about these men?
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Clare Quigley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I am a qualified information professional with a wide range of experience in information, design and marketing. I am particularly interested in knowledge management and strategies for achieving a knowledge sharing environment. I have highly developed wr
    • View Profile
Re: Shoemakers in Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm about to go to Aberdeen to look for Shoemaker's records from that time with a cousin!  My ancestor is James STRACHAN 1796-1842 'leather merchant'/'shoemaker' who married Margaret ADAM 1788-1865.  The family ran a shoemaker's shop in the centre of Aberdeen for many generations. We know Margaret ADAM had a brother David and father William- any crossovers with your research by any chance?

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if we share any relatives, its certainly possible. Unfortunately I have not been able to work on my research during the past 6 months (My Dad passed this past October) but I would be very interested in any info you can find on Davidson Adam(S) who was married to Isabel McCombie. He was a shoemaker in Aberdeen or thereabouts circa 1805. His father George Adam was also a Shoemaker in Aberdeen. Good luck with your trip!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 09:03 BST (UK) »
Clare

By now you are possibly back from your trip to check the Shoemakers Records in Aberdeen.  I hope you found some useful information.

I, too, am researching James STRACHAN and his family.  My gg-grandfather was a son of James and Margret ADAM.  William emigrated to New Zealand.  I have heard stories his health wasn't good and he went first to Jamaica then Australia before finally settling in New Zealand.

At this stage I know very little about the ADAM family, and am just learning some as I research, then check for sources on Scotland's People.  Years ago I had some contact with a gentleman connected with David ADAM, and, at that stage I was unsure who were William Adam STRACHAN's parents.

Jeni Simpson
New Zealand
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
Scottish P.O Directories on line -

http://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office

Those for Aberdeen start 1824/25. I can see an Alexander Adam, Shoemaker in the first edition. Have not checked further.