Author Topic: Maynard family  (Read 1864 times)

Offline DuncanW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maynard family
« on: Friday 08 July 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
My grandmother told me that she remembered, as a girl going to visit her Aunt, and her cousins were making sweets in the family kitchen. The family were the Maynards of wine gum fame, and dates etc fit in with their published history. However, I can't find the actual link between the families. She was Kate Elfreda (sometimes spelt as Elfrida) Speller, born about 1870 and later married to Edward Lawrence Burt. All help gratefully received!
Many thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maynard family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
To find a connection if one exists, you will need to use the usual methods to trace your family to see if you can find a link to the Maynards.

From Wiki (a few names which may help):
Charles Riley Maynard started his business in 1880 by producing confections in a kitchen with his brother Tom in Stamford Hill, London, while his wife Sarah Ann served the customers. Maynard's sweets grew steadily and was launched as a company in 1896. Maynard's Wine Gums were introduced in 1909 by Maynard's son Charles Gordon Maynard. It took Charles Gordon Maynard some time to persuade his strict Methodist and teetotaller father that the sweets did not contain wine.

You say you can't find a link - how much research have you done already (to save us going over old ground)

Where was Kate born?
Who were her parents and what are their dates and places of birth if known?

Offline DuncanW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
First - an apology. I put an incorrect family name (which I've corrected) Her name was Speller. She was born in Bow in 1870. Her father was Charles Speller and mother Catharine Bynon, both born in 1842 I think that the Maynards were living in Hackney when she visited them. Charles Speller was born in Linton, Cambs, father Charles S and Catherine's parents were John Bynon ( 1808-77) and Mary Skinner Keall. My guess is that she saw Charles Gordon Maynard and his brother somewhere around 1880 - 5. I don't know if the Aunt was the relation ( as we know, almost any older female was called 'aunt' in those days). The odd bits that I've found with the Maynard family don't appear to have any direct connection, and I'm guessing that she told me the story somewhere around 1950 or a little earlier.
Thanks for your interest.
Kind regards

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 16 16:51 BST (UK) »
I haven't traced the families any further yet, but it seems that Charles Riley Maynard's mother's name was Ann Speller.

Offline DuncanW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
That's really interesting, though I can't quickly find a direct link either with siblings or children.
Time will tell!
Many thanks

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 16 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi used to love Wine Gums!

Marriage West Hackney 21st April 1851

Riley Maynard Full age occ Gardener Father John Maynard occ Gardener
Ann Speller Full Age Father John Speller occ Gardener

By 1881 census Riley/Ann have a son Charles aged 24 occ Confectioner

On the same day/venue Charles Maynard occ Fancy Box Maker, married Josepha Booth Father John Maynard occ Gardener
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DuncanW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 July 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
 A bit chewy! And you can still get them.
Thanks for that info. I think that Anne Elizabeth was "my" Charles sister, so that explains the relationship.
An odd detail:- Charles was born in Ashdon, a village near Saffron Walden, and my grandparents retired to the village of Sewards End, which is only 3 - 4 miles from Ashdon!
Small world!!!
Thanks again
DuncanW