Author Topic: Using Social Security Number of ancestor  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Using Social Security Number of ancestor
« on: Friday 08 July 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
I have the SSN of someone I believe to be my grandfather, and I would like to get more info.  I have got his death cert now, and a copy of his SSN application in California, but is there not a way of finding out more about him? I've been trying but have got nowhere. Can anybody help, please? (I am in the UK). His name was Henry Aiken, SSN 561401084.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Using Social Security Number of ancestor
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
Look up wiki pedia, there may be state codes built into the numbers
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
Yep, I know he applied for the SSN in California in 1948 - and he died in San Francisco in 1963, but is it not possible to find out more about the years in between by using the SSN? Eg addresses, employment, divorce/marriage etc?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 16 21:04 BST (UK) »
This may explain the Social Security Number

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v45n11/v45n11p29.pdf

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 16 21:22 BST (UK) »
Could you tell us his age at death or dob? Strange, his name and Ssn number isn't coming up on Ancestry for 1963

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
He is on the California death index as born 26 Mar 1878 and 19 Feb 1963 in San Francisco Co.

If you order the full Social Security application for a fee, it could include his mailing address at the time and an employer's name.  http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_records/a/ss5_request.htm

Otherwise, I think you would need to look for other sources.  City directories may give an address and occupation for the time frame after census records are available.  A death certificate may mention marital status.  There are a lot of California marriage records/indexes online.  http://www.genealogybranches.com/california.html  The San Francisco public library will do obituary look-ups for free.  http://sfpl.org/?pg=2000049301 

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 July 16 09:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your helpful suggestions.  Unfortunately "Henry Aiken" seems to be a common name in the US, but I shall plod on..... :)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 July 16 18:42 BST (UK) »
A previous thread about whom appears to be your Mr. Aiken:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=690525.0

Perhaps you know the author of the post?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 July 16 19:10 BST (UK) »
Interesting discussion of him possibly being called Ashberry Aiken on that other thread. 

There is a Social Security application for Harry Ashberry Aiken, as well as one for Henry Aiken.  Both give his date of birth as 26 Mar. 1878 and parents as William Aiken & Elizabeth Hamilton.  The numbers are consistent with them being assigned in California. 

The Harry Ashberry Aiken application says he was born Fresno, California and says it was an original Social Security number claim.  It says Apr. 1945 Name listed as Harry Ashberry Aiken. 

The Henry Aiken application says birth place of New York Man, New York and also says it was an original Social Security number claim.   Maybe the confusion was due to him being Harry in one and Henry in the other, so they didn't realize he already had a Social Security number.

I wonder if the transcription was off and those were really the places he was residing rather than his birth place.