Author Topic: Family name: Jacqueline - Louis and Marie - Trinity 1841, St Helier beyond  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Family name: Jacqueline - Louis and Marie - Trinity 1841, St Helier beyond
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 July 16 14:28 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant, thank you.

The 'Manche' rang a bell so I checked Marie V's marriage certificate and it has what looks like 'Portbail', Manche on it.

My computer won't connect to the website you have provided. It says the connection was reset. I'll try again in the morning.

I am more than happy to receive any information you are able to find.  ;D

I do love the fancy names. Travers seems very English, doesn't it?

Thanking you again, Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 July 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
1861 - trinity parish

Louis J Le Boucher    58 - labourer b France
Maria Le Boucher    64 - b France
Louis Le Boucher    22 - b france
Amelia Le Boucher    17 - daughter in law b St Saviours, Jersey
Mary Le Boucher    1 - grand daughter b St Helier
Leonore Le Boucher    19 - daughter, unmarried, ag lab b St Helier
Leonore Le Boucher    1 Months - grand daughter b Trinity [transcribed as Emma by Ancestry]

RG9, 4408, 72, 8

The order suggests the two Leonores are mother and daughter

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 July 16 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Mabel.  ;D

I certainly would have never found them with such a change in surname.  :o

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 July 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
I think Pelagie is living next door in 1861 - married to Amiable Grandin. She is named Pélagie Jacqueline when the executrix of Amiable Francois Grandin in 1910

Louis jnr seems also to switch to Jacqueline/Jacklin from 1871 onwards - his wife is Emilie or Emily rather than Amelia as in 1861

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 July 16 15:28 BST (UK) »
Why would the family have such a penchant for name changes?

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 July 16 06:24 BST (UK) »
Alas, the link does not work. Is part of it missing perchance http://www.archive.manche.fr/ ?

I did play about with the address a bit, but on end up with sites that are not in English. I have no French language skills.  :'( :'(

Jamjar

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 July 16 09:47 BST (UK) »
It is a French website and as such it is in French as are a lot of the Jersey records. Your French does not have to be fluent (mine certainly isn't) to get the gist of them as most follow the same format, I'll have another look later today.

As you have found our French ancestors usually have 2 or 3 Christian names and tend to use them randomly on any form of paperwork, although it is less usual for the same thing to happen with surnames.

I think Marie's maiden name was Le Petit going by the 1881 census when she is living with Aimable and Augusta (Pélagie) Grandin in the parish of St Saviour. To confirm that I had a look at the St Saviour death indexes and there is a Marie Jacquelin listed in that parish between 1886 and 1893 on page 129. Our indexes gives both maiden and married names and there is also a Marie Le Petit listed on the same page.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 July 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you again I am finding it most interesting.

I knew I shouldn't have mucked about in French class in the 60s. My only excuse is that I didn't know that I would ever have a need for it, back then.  ;D

Jamjar

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
My apologies, I'm pretty sure I found you the wrong Louis Jacqueline. As I couldn't find the births of any of his children in Néhou I had a look in our records for some of their marriages. I found the marriages of 3 of them this morning in Trinity parish church.

Honorine's and Louis' weren't a lot of good as they seem to have thought they were born in Trinity but Pélagie gave her birth place as 'Benneville' (Besneville)  and her father's name as Louis Etienne.

In Besneville. I found the births of Marie, Louis and Pélagie and in each case their father was given as Louis Jacques Etienne Jacqueline dit Boucher, their mother was Jeanne Marie Francoise Le Petit. However the records did say that the father was a native of Néhou.

So it was back to the Néhou records where the birth of a Louis Jacques Etienne Jacquelinne dit Bouché is recorded in 1803. His parents were Louis Francois Jacquelinne dit Bouché, a Labourer born in Néhou on March 11th 1773, and Marie Francoise Hamel, aged 28.

If I find any more I'll let you know.