Author Topic: George nash c1821. Looking for elusive baptism record  (Read 866 times)

Offline robsal

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George nash c1821. Looking for elusive baptism record
« on: Saturday 09 July 16 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have posted this request before, it was a couple of years ago so thought I would give it another go?

My GGGrandfather George Nash enlisted in the 61st regiment of foot at Salisbury in September 1839 and gives his age as 17 and a half and his place of birth as Wylie, Wiltshire.

In September 1860 George marries and states his father as James Nash, in fact a James Nash was a witness to this marriage and I suspect that it was George's father.

My problem as such is I cannot locate a baptism record for George, I have searched a ten mile radius of Wylie and I cannot find a baptism of a George whose fathers name was James?

There was a James and Charity Nash baptising children in the area around the time of Georges birth? also George and his wife name there first child Diana Charity Nash? so its possible he could be a child off this couple?

Anyway if anyone comes across anything or can offer some further advice I would be extremely grateful.

Kind regards

Robert
SALISBURY- LINGE- LEECH-SALTER-PARSONS-AUBIN-WESTLY-DAINES/DAYNES all Suffolk.
SEABER/SEBER- Cambridgeshire(Isleham & Soham)
NASH/NAISH BARTER- MACEY-GILES Fisherton Delemere, Stockton, Warminster, Wilts.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George nash c1821. Looking for elusive baptism record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 16 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Some possibilities

Not all children were baptised

He may have been baptised more than a year after his birth.  If only the baptismal date is shown you may have to extend your search years
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 16 12:12 BST (UK) »
The  original of George's army record actually shows his birth parish to be Stockton in or near the town of Codford.

Looking on google maps I see that Codford/Codford St.Mary is north of Stockton and Wylye is south of it.

Perhaps it may be worth tracking down the original baptism records for Stockton and Codford/Codford St. Mary as well as Wylye.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 July 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
James Naish and Charity Macey married at Fisherton Delamare 23.5.1808.
Unfortunately baptisms for the parish don't seem to be on line.
Familysearch suggests a paid to view site Nimrod Research.
Latter censuses give George's birth place as Bapton  south of Stockton and over the river from Fisherton Delamare.

It seems Nimrod research has cornered the market in all three parishes -Codford,Fisherton Delamare and Stockton.Apparently there is also a look up service on Wiltshire opc from Duncan McBurney for FD.
Which ever one it is he was baptised in  his parents have to be James and Charity surely!

Ciderdrinker

Offline robsal

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 21:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the responses to my query and sincere apologies for the delay in replying.

I searched a 5/6 mile radius of Stockton for Georges baptism between 1819 and 1825 and alas no George, as you rightly mention, and l stand corrected, George gives his birthplace as Stockton/Codford in his army papers. I am almost certain that George is the son of James & Charity Macey who marry in FD in 1808, the witnesses were William Mould and Joseeph Macey. I know that James and Charity were moving about around 1823 as they baptise a son in Romsey but later return to Wiltshire.

Anyway back to the drawing board for this one!

Thanks again.

Robert
SALISBURY- LINGE- LEECH-SALTER-PARSONS-AUBIN-WESTLY-DAINES/DAYNES all Suffolk.
SEABER/SEBER- Cambridgeshire(Isleham & Soham)
NASH/NAISH BARTER- MACEY-GILES Fisherton Delemere, Stockton, Warminster, Wilts.