Author Topic: Murdy Family from Shoreswood  (Read 3604 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murdy Family from Shoreswood
« on: Sunday 10 July 16 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if there is anyone researching the Murdies from Shoreswood or someone that can help me out as I think I`ve got myself totally confused with this family.

The Murdie family is my Mother in Laws family. I hit a brick wall with last year and now when Im looking at it I`ve found it might have gone full circle  ???

My husbands Great Grandfather John Murdie was born to Ann Murdie a single mother in 1854 in Shoreswood, Northumberland

On the 1861 census aged 7 John Murdie was living with his uncle John Murdie and his wife Barbara in Shoreswood, Northumberland together with his cousins John, Andrew, Elizabeth and Ann.

On the 1871 census John Murdie aged 16 was now staying with his other uncle Peter Murdie and his wife Elizabeth in Widdrington together with 2 of his cousins Jane and Andrew.

On both the 1861 and 1871 census Johns mother Ann is working as a servant so she must have had John taken care of by both of her brothers while she worked.

I couldnt find him on the 1881. In 1883 John marries an Elizabeth Patterson. In 1891 John and Elizabeth are living in Bothal Demesne, Northumberland with 5 of their children Henry, George, Eliza, John and Ann.

In 1901 John and Elizabeth are now living in Ashington Northumberland with another 3 sons William, Robert and Peter. They then have another 2 children Sydney and Charles. John dies 1911.

That part was pretty straight forward but its the maternal side that I have the problem with

William Murdie my husbands grandfather marries his grandmother Margaret Ann Coombs in 1914.

Margaret Ann Coombs parents were Charles Coombs and Elizabeth Dodds. They married in 1891

Elizabeth Dodds Parents were Joseph Dodds and an Elizabeth. The only marriage that I could find was to an Elizabeth Pattison in 1866 in Morpeth however there was also a Jane Hardy, Thomas Milburn, and William T Robinson on the wedding index so now Im not sure.

I then had a problem with where Elizabeth was born as on some census it was transcribed as Stobscross which is in Hexham Northumberland so I was on ages looking for an Elizabeth Pattison from Stobscross Hexham.

So now looking at it after all this time I`ve found that Stob cross is the name of a farm in Shoreswood Norham. I still didnt find anyone on the census by the name of Pattison. Elizabeth would have been born about 1843. However what is really wierd is when I put in an Elizabeth born 1843 in Stob cross its bringing up a census on both family search and ancestry for an Elizabeth Murdy born 1843 parents names Peter Murdie and Elizabeth and she appears on the 1851 and 1861 census with Peter and Elizabeth but the Peter Murdie is the same uncle to my husbands great grandfather John.

I was thinking of maybe ordering a birth certificate for either Elizabeth Dodds or one of her siblings to find the mothers maiden name but would like to avoid it if I can as these brick walls are costing a fortune  :'(

I wondered if someone could help with this little mystery  ???

Regards
Susan

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Murdy Family from Shoreswood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
Is this the 1881 you have?
Joseph Dodds   40
Elizabeth Dodds   38, born Stobs..., Northumberland
Elizabeth Dodds   12, born Widdrington****
Margaret Dodds   10
Jane Dodds   4

1871 we have;
Joseph Dodds, 30
Elizth Dodds, 28
William Dodds, 4
Elizth Dodds, 2, born West Moor

FreeBMD also has a Marriage Reg Sept 1867 Morpeth;
Joseph DODDS and Elizabeth MORDUE on same page :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
Is this the 1881 you have?
Joseph Dodds   40
Elizabeth Dodds   38, born Stobs..., Northumberland
Elizabeth Dodds   12, born Widdrington****
Margaret Dodds   10
Jane Dodds   4

1871 we have;
Joseph Dodds, 30
Elizth Dodds, 28
William Dodds, 4
Elizth Dodds, 2, born West Moor

FreeBMD also has a Marriage Reg Sept 1867 Morpeth;
Joseph DODDS and Elizabeth MORDUE on same page :)

Hi Trish1120

Those were the two of the census I had. I cant find the 1891 but have the 1901 one which has stobcross for place of birth for Elizabeth. I didnt find the marriage. Thankyou very much for that  :) Her maiden name seems very close to being Murdie or Murdy as they are also known as.

Susan

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
A little snippet to help to decide if its the marriage you are looking for, given where they were married the only way to get the details is via an official cert

Morpeth Herald 5th October 1867

MARRIAGES
IN THIS TOWN, at the Register Office, 28th ult., Mr Joseph Dodds to Miss Elizabeth Mordue, both of Ashington Colliery.

Boo

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi the missing 1891 census has Joseph Dodds 49 and family boarding with an Andrew & Jane Murdie at Seventh Row, Bothal Demesne, Morpeth
Census Ref RG12/4258/70/10

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 July 16 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi the missing 1891 census has Joseph Dodds 49 and family boarding with an Andrew & Jane Murdie at Seventh Row, Bothal Demesne, Morpeth
Census Ref RG12/4258/70/10

Keyboard86

Hi Keyboard

That is the right one. What a lot of people in those houses. I wonder if there was a party going on. Two other names stood out on those people and that was Dalryple. My husband took a photo of his g great grandfather Charles Coombs and Mr Dalyrmple shared the same plot. I think he was his son in law. Thank you  :)

Susan

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 July 16 22:13 BST (UK) »

Elizabeth Dodds Parents were Joseph Dodds and an Elizabeth. The only marriage that I could find was to an Elizabeth Pattison in 1866 in Morpeth however there was also a Jane Hardy, Thomas Milburn, and William T Robinson on the wedding index so now Im not sure.

I looked at FreeBMD and think you can safely ignore William T Robinson as it appears to have been incorrectly transcribed.

another snippet which may help:

Morpeth Herald 24th Feb 1866
MARRIAGES
IN THIS TOWN, at the Register Office, 17th inst [snip details of other marriages]
Same day, Mr Thomas Milburn, to Miss Elizabeth Patterson, of Bedlington New Winning. -- Same day, Mr Joseph Dodds, to Miss Jane Hardy, both of Choppington Guide Post.

Boo

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 July 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
A little snippet to help to decide if its the marriage you are looking for, given where they were married the only way to get the details is via an official cert

Morpeth Herald 5th October 1867

MARRIAGES
IN THIS TOWN, at the Register Office, 28th ult., Mr Joseph Dodds to Miss Elizabeth Mordue, both of Ashington Colliery.

Boo

Hi Boo

This looks like the correct marriage as Joseph Dodds on the 1861 census was living at North seaton colliery and Elizabeth was living at Bothal Demesne which were colliery houses. Thankyou  :)

Susan

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 July 16 22:31 BST (UK) »

I looked at FreeBMD and think you can safely ignore William T Robinson as it appears to have been incorrectly transcribed.

another snippet which may help:

Morpeth Herald 24th Feb 1866
MARRIAGES
IN THIS TOWN, at the Register Office, 17th inst [snip details of other marriages]
Same day, Mr Thomas Milburn, to Miss Elizabeth Patterson, of Bedlington New Winning. -- Same day, Mr Joseph Dodds, to Miss Jane Hardy, both of Choppington Guide Post.

Boo

Hi Boo

I think you`re right. Thankyou Boo  :) This is one to bin now. It was the only marriage coming up at that time to an Elizabeth. Does that mean that Elizabeth Mordue could also have been wrongly transcribed and could be Murdie?

Susan