Author Topic: Murdy Family from Shoreswood  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murdy Family from Shoreswood
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 July 16 22:50 BST (UK) »

Hi Boo

I think you`re right. Thankyou Boo  :) This is one to bin now. It was the only marriage coming up at that time to an Elizabeth. Does that mean that Elizabeth Mordue could also have been wrongly transcribed and could be Murdie?

Susan

If you are looking on FreeBMD and click the little spectacles icon next to the entry, you can see the image that entry was transcribed from. The GRO index image clearly says MORDUE.

possible scenarios to explain a transition from MURDIE to MORDUE.

1 whoever transcribed the GRO index got it wrong, it happens
2 the Registrar misheard the name and wrote MORDUE instead of MURDIE
3 its possible that neither the bride nor groom could write their names so had no idea how to spell it anyway so the Registrar just gave it his best shot / they just didn't notice and if they could write she may have signed as MURDIE.
4 Perhaps the name was originally MORDUE and local usage had a variation of MURDIE or vice versa

without seeing the cert I can't tell if its the same girl you are seeing on census returns.

You could try emailing the Morpeth Registrar and asking if they can confirm/deny that the bride's father was called Peter as you can't tell if this is the marriage you have been looking for. If they have time they 'may' check for you. If they reply and say yes the bride's father 'was' Peter, then it could lend a bit more weight to your theory.

Unfortunately, as they were married at the Registrar's Office there's no option such as checking a parish register that can help.

Boo

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 July 16 23:21 BST (UK) »

Hi Boo

I think you`re right. Thankyou Boo  :) This is one to bin now. It was the only marriage coming up at that time to an Elizabeth. Does that mean that Elizabeth Mordue could also have been wrongly transcribed and could be Murdie?

Susan

If you are looking on FreeBMD and click the little spectacles icon next to the entry, you can see the image that entry was transcribed from. The GRO index image clearly says MORDUE.

possible scenarios to explain a transition from MURDIE to MORDUE.

1 whoever transcribed the GRO index got it wrong, it happens
2 the Registrar misheard the name and wrote MORDUE instead of MURDIE
3 its possible that neither the bride nor groom could write their names so had no idea how to spell it anyway so the Registrar just gave it his best shot / they just didn't notice and if they could write she may have signed as MURDIE.
4 Perhaps the name was originally MORDUE and local usage had a variation of MURDIE or vice versa

without seeing the cert I can't tell if its the same girl you are seeing on census returns.

You could try emailing the Morpeth Registrar and asking if they can confirm/deny that the bride's father was called Peter as you can't tell if this is the marriage you have been looking for. If they have time they 'may' check for you. If they reply and say yes the bride's father 'was' Peter, then it could lend a bit more weight to your theory.

Unfortunately, as they were married at the Registrar's Office there's no option such as checking a parish register that can help.

Boo

Hi Boo

Im wondering if it could also be the dialect. The way words are pronounced. That and the fact that they probably arent able to read and write. I might try emailing the registry office. Thats a good idea thanks

Susan

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 July 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
I think you're right about the dialect - try saying Murdie with a local accent and you get Mordie - it's half way there.

I have come across the two names being confused before and have always suspected that they stem from the same origin

Christine

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 July 16 05:30 BST (UK) »
I think you're right about the dialect - try saying Murdie with a local accent and you get Mordie - it's half way there.

I have come across the two names being confused before and have always suspected that they stem from the same origin

Christine

I agree Christine maybe I should mention that in the email. The dialect here is more pitmatic and can be very hard to understand. Its like when they say walking the dog. With the local accent it comes out more like walking the derg. Its like a language on its own lol

Susan

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 July 16 09:08 BST (UK) »

I agree Christine maybe I should mention that in the email. The dialect here is more pitmatic and can be very hard to understand. Its like when they say walking the dog. With the local accent it comes out more like walking the derg. Its like a language on its own lol

Susan

Remember that the Registrar's job is primarily focussed on the here and now, their current duties will take priority and 'spare time' for historical queries will be low down on their list. I'd give the date, venue and ask about the father as its a 'possible' entry but the name is slightly different. Further details and a long email may not bring a reply. Plus they won't be allowed to tell you anything new, the furthest they will be able to go is confirm/deny the specific point you enquire about.

Boo

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 July 16 11:31 BST (UK) »

Susan

Remember that the Registrar's job is primarily focussed on the here and now, their current duties will take priority and 'spare time' for historical queries will be low down on their list. I'd give the date, venue and ask about the father as its a 'possible' entry but the name is slightly different. Further details and a long email may not bring a reply. Plus they won't be allowed to tell you anything new, the furthest they will be able to go is confirm/deny the specific point you enquire about.

Boo

Hi Tickety Boo

I`ve just emailed the registrar and told them I was after the marriage and there was a slight difference in the spelling and asked if they could confirm the brides fathers name was Peter Murdie. Fingers crossed  ;D

Susan

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 16:41 BST (UK) »

I`ve just emailed the registrar and told them I was after the marriage and there was a slight difference in the spelling and asked if they could confirm the brides fathers name was Peter Murdie. Fingers crossed  ;D

Don't forget to let us know one way or another :-)

Boo

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 July 16 23:57 BST (UK) »

Don't forget to let us know one way or another :-)

Boo

Hi Boo

I have just received the following email from the registrars

Dear Susan

Yes, I can confirm that the bride’s father was Peter Murdie. The bride couldn’t write, hence the incorrect spelling of the surname by the Registrar. If you would like a copy of the certificate you can apply on line via our website, quoting the ref. no. MRO 5/74

Kind regards

Kathryn

So that`s solved that. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Now wouldn`t this mean that blood relatives have married blood relatives?  How would I go about working out the realtionship of both familes as its all changed now  ???

Susan

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 July 16 10:31 BST (UK) »
Excellent! That's a really good result :-) So, from the newspaper snippet, you now are sure about  when and where they were married. That's a good step forward.

How closely do you think they were related? Cousins could (and can) marry legally in England.

Boo
<who now has that old song, 'I am my own Granpa', running through her head>