Author Topic: Roman Catholics born Selby 1780s - are Baptisms at Stourton?  (Read 10518 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholics born Selby 1780s - are Baptisms at Stourton?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 July 16 00:43 BST (UK) »
http://www.southhollandlife.com/dr-katherine-storr-archive/

Read all John Bland posts but in particularly post below

scroll down to post John R G Bland posted-: May 2,  2014 at 11:37 pm
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:26 BST (UK) »
Rev Robert Hoods Will / probate

http://www.genuki.org.uk/files/eng/LIN/Wills/Robert_Hood_of_Holbeach.pdf

See right at the bottom of link page John Bland

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Holbeach
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks

BTTDB (Back to the Drawing Board)!!

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 July 16 03:14 BST (UK) »
Land Tax Records 

Richard Gibson was a Tenant of Lord Petre 1797 - 1811

"Hood George" was a Tenant of "Ld Petrie" too, in the Selby Land Tax of March 1812.

Why ?  - Receivership  ?? 1810/11/12 -must be doc's somewhere  ???

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 July 16 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Gibson's Bankruptcy was dealt with at the Guildhall London and he must have complied, because he was granted a Certificate in 1810.

The Guildhall London, former City of London records, are now at the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives).

TNA, Kew, only kept selected bankruptcy files.

The TNA Research Guide on Bankruptcy, gives TNA References ...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/bankrupts-insolvent-debtors/

Kind regards, Mark

LMA reponse ...

Thank you for your recent email.

Although some Commissioners of Bankrupts held their sittings in Guildhall, very few records survive amongst the archives of the City of London except for the Bankrupts books of the Hallkeeper’s office records which record fees paid to the hallkeepers by the messengers to the Commissioners in Bankruptcy (whose names appear in the left hand column) in respect of sittings 1793-1821 (CLA/040/07/009-025).

I have had a look at the volume of Hallkeepers' accounts for 1807 (CLA/040/07/014) but I regret that the information contained within them is absolutely minimal. These volumes are only a list of names, with no biographical or genealogical details, or even any details of individual cases. I am sorry that this is likely to be disappointing.

There are registers of commissions at the National Archives which may be worth pursuing. It sounds as though you have already made use of their research guide, which can be found at the following link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/bankrupts-insolvent-debtors/

Records of the Petre family, including estate records with some relating to Selby, are held at Essex Record Office and it may be worth contacting them in case there are any surviving records of rentals (http://www.essexrecordoffice.co.uk/

I am sorry that we are unable to offer further assistance in this instance, but wish you good luck with your research.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries.

Yours Sincerely
[name was supplied]

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 July 16 12:36 BST (UK) »

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 July 16 12:38 BST (UK) »
The possibilities are:
(a)
 George bought the cooper business 1811  to 1812  a time limit 1810 bankrupt certificate in newspaper notice as R Gibson. 1811 R Gibson still therefore on land tax 1811, thus if any advert to sell the business and it would be in newspapers from mid 1810 to land tax entry date of George hood 1812. George Hood sees the advert from somewhere in the UK with his trade a Cooper.

or

(b)
George Hood trained the skills of the master cooper under R Gibson come business wheeler dealers 1797 to 1811 but I doubt George Hood would be employed by R Gibson after he went bankrupt 1807 and  about the same year George would have come out of his training time age 21 I George was born about circa 1786. This would leave George out of work 1807 to 1812. Though John Hood was around 1780's land tax to 1819 burial year as could be father or granddad of George.

Date years 1797 to 1807 fit exactly for George to start and finish an apprenticeship though if he was born 1785/6.

(a) seems most likely though.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 July 16 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm and All

George Hood (who died Sept 1845) was rubbing shoulders with two other Selby characters John Green (c.1835-1836) and John Adams (1845 and Mrs Hood's Tannery 1865) ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752270.msg6007698#msg6007698

Kind regards, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 July 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm and All

According to the Wren Lane, Selby, Deed Registration of 1836, "Thomas Holliday" also occupied the Wren Lane premises.

TNA has a Thomas Halliday, Old South Sea House, Broad Street, London, merchant and insurance broker (Dealer and Chapman), bankrupt. 1811, July 16. Cat Ref:  B 3/2182

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_aq=Halliday&_col=0&_cr1=B&_dss=range&_sd=1800&_ed=1820&_ro=any&_hb=tna

Regards Mark