Author Topic: Roman Catholics born Selby 1780s - are Baptisms at Stourton?  (Read 10512 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholics born Selby 1780s - are Baptisms at Stourton?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 14 October 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally

The Honourable James Talbot 1769 was tried at the Old Bailey for exercising his Office (James Robert Talbot).
The last prosecution for celebrating Mass was in 1771. [168 years after Elizabeth I]
Also other restrictions imposed upon Catholics.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8GrGCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT547&lpg=PT547&dq=%22James+Talbot%22+%22Old+Bailey%22+1769&source=bl&ots=LCZe76YUd_&sig=yatN1oKVv0q_bIHisOgbVCbNaMk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwuI7qu_DWAhWFDxoKHaf3DkMQ6AEISTAL

I see the restrictions and trials imposed, for following Catholic religious convictions, as a type of persecution.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark

James Talbot was acquitted
It seems to have been a rather tiresome time wasting affair, that was chucked out of court

'Council for the crown. - My lord, we despair of being able to make out the charge against the defendant.'
Acquitted .

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17710220-81-person724&div=t17710220-81#highlight

Added. I had a quick browse on the above Old Bailey Online website, by chance there might be some Hood's. There are quite a few though I couldn't see any 'from Yorkshire', but I did notice quite a few 'Yorkshire men' who seemed to have been in London running pubs, hehe

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 15 October 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Edward Burton (Sarah Russell's grandfather) was living in dwellings owned by Lady Stourton in 1781 and later Lord Petre   

Interestingly, in 1717 there are some Burton's of Selby in the West Yorkshire Roman Catholic Oath records and whilst browsing the following were listed in 1717:

Nathaniel Hudd
Roger Hudd
Samuel Hudd

Hi Mark

These similar links may interest you (or not  ???)

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/news/thousands-catholic-records-available-new-database

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=780638.9

Hi

Thank you dobfarm. It does interest me, there were Hood Catholics dotted about in Yorkshire.

There are Roman Catholic Registers, separate to the C of E Registers (before the late 18th Century Catholic Relief Acts).

My late Grandfather said 40 years ago that there were devout Catholics who would NOT side with the C of E.

Hardwicke's Marriage Act, forced many faiths to marry in the C of E church, but not all of them were C of E attenders.

Until the Catholic Relief Acts came in, the Roman Catholics could not have their own chapel officially and therefore unlikely had their own local burial ground.

Research of the early to mid 18th Century Selby Registers indicate the Parish of Selby (Abbey) Church buried Presbyterians, so not all burials were C of E members. The Selby Presbyterians had their own Chapel from circa 1700, but obviously no burial ground.

A project to film Registers still held by the Roman Catholics began and I understand this project is not yet complete for Yorkshire.

Also, if a Catholic did not swear an Oath his/her land could be seised. It was also awkward to pass property.

The screws were really on devout Catholics and life was made as difficult as possible.

Regards Mark

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 04 January 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon

I was drawn to this post because I too am researching the history of a catholic family in the Selby area. In fact they are mentioned by one of the posters in passing.

It is the Hinsley family. The earliest I have been able to evidence is John Hinsley who married Susanna Cockin/g in 1759 at St Lawrence, Snaith.

I understand the Catholic Church in Carlton opened in 1842 and prior to that services took place in a room at what would become Carlton Towers. George HInsley, grandson of the above couple, was buried at the new church in 1847. That is the earliest concrete proof I have of Catholicism in the family, I would like to know how far back it goes.

I would be interested to see the list of recusants mentioned if anyone can point me to it. I would like to see whether the Hinsleys are on it.

I am aware that a later generation provided Cardinal Hinsley, Archbishop of Westminster.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer in pointing me to documents or databases regarding the Catholicism.
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 04 January 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »

It is the Hinsley family. The earliest I have been able to evidence is John Hinsley who married Susanna Cockin/g in 1759 at St Lawrence, Snaith.

Interesting, I was in "Hinsley" in my school "House" I attended the Catholic secondary school at Carlton.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 04 January 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon

I was drawn to this post because I too am researching the history of a catholic family in the Selby area. In fact they are mentioned by one of the posters in passing.

I understand the Catholic Church in Carlton opened in 1842 and prior to that services took place in a room at what would become Carlton Towers. George Hinsley, grandson of the above couple, was buried at the new church in 1847. That is the earliest concrete proof I have of Catholicism in the family, I would like to know how far back it goes.

I would be interested to see the list of recusants mentioned if anyone can point me to it. I would like to see whether the Hinsleys are on it.

I am aware that a later generation provided Cardinal Hinsley, Archbishop of Westminster.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer in pointing me to documents or databases regarding the Catholicism.

Hello

Thank you Louise and Frank (for highlighting Cockin).

Roman Catholic records (not online yet) are usually accessed via the Priest at the Church concerned.

Various County and City Record Offices have some Catholic Registers on film / fiche now.

St Mary's Carlton, R.C.
Apparently, the R.C. Leeds Archives does not usually hold Registers. However their Archives replied 4 Oct 2017:-
The Registers for St Mary's, Carlton, go back to 1744 and some of the early ones are kept here at the Diocesan Archives. The remainder are held at the church.

Leeds Diocesan Archives [Roman Catholic]
Hinsley Hall
62 Headingley Lane
Leeds
LS6 2BX

http://www.dioceseofleeds.org.uk/archives/family/family.php

"Please note the Archives team are unable to carry out record searches on behalf of family historians"

Selby R.C.
Regarding Selby (late 18th Century), according to Rootschatter Claire, the Selby entries are amongst the entries in a R.C. Leeds Register (online).

This would figure, because every two weeks in the 1780s a Catholic Priest came from the Leeds area, to the house of Lord Petrie's Steward (Steward of the Manor of Selby), to hold a service.

----------

Here is a partial quick list of "families" (couples) for SELBY Yorkshire ...

The Catholic records don't go before 1780 - this lot are up to and including 1800.

Selby Catholic families

John & Elizabeth Clayton
John & Mary Field
John & Elizabeth Hick
Benjamin & Mary Johnson
John & Rebecca Kirby (baptised at Selby, living at Hamilton near Selby)
William & Ann Littlewood
Charles & Martha Metcalfe
William & Elizabeth Morley
James & Ann Ralf or Ralph
George & Helen Say
George & Mary Tarboton
Charles & Ann Thompson
John & Mary Warrener
Thomas & Ann Weldrick
Richard & Mary Wilson
Cuthbert & Mary Winshop

I haven't tried looking any earlier, ...

Claire

END of Quote

Mark

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 07 January 18 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look on the Margaret Higgins database of Catholics 1607-1840 but the only Hinsleys seem to be in Staffordshire, unless they used some other spelling, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 25 January 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I wrote to the parish priest and he promised to get back to me at some point. Watch this space.
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams