Author Topic: Roman Catholics born Selby 1780s - are Baptisms at Stourton?  (Read 10514 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholics born Selby 1780s - are Baptisms at Stourton?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hii Mark

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=735893.0

Have you anything on Hood freemasons in your data drawer.

Freeback I'm getting is Robert Hood was a freemason and Deacon convener

http://www.tradeshouse.org.uk/14-incorporated-crafts/coopers/deacons-to-date.aspx

http://www.incorporationofmasonsofglasgow.org/uploads/1/7/2/0/17207928/final_book.pdf

Incorporation of Masons of Glasgow Membership from 1574 to 2013 ... 

27 May 2014 ... Thanks must be given to George Mahoney for the images in this book .... 1817-18 . Robert Hood. Cooper. 1819-20. James Hunter. Maltman. unquote -  ???

Freemason Selby  ::)  ??? Could explain how a young mere working class Cooper got into the business society of Selby also the put a light one how high a coopers trade was considered.

FLETCHER DOCUMENTS IN THE LEICESTER CITY MUSEUM 

https://www.le.ac.uk/lahs/downloads/FletcherDocsPagesfromVolume19.pdf
of Loughborough to Sir George Beaumont of Stoughton. Grange and ..... Selby, by the appoint ... of meadow: John Hood to Edward Dawson. ... Alien, freemason

Warning!! this could be another dead end.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thank you.

Already downloaded my 2 X Gt. Grandfather George Hood of Wigston in the 1870s Register of the Commercial Lodge, but we'll look again.

George Hood had been a Commercial Traveller in the Leather Trade and his Office address was Belvoir Street, Leceister. Henry Peters Tyler was one of his Executors.

Mr Henry Peters Tyler was in partnership with two other Tylers and their business was called Tyler Brothers established 1862, his personal office was also at Belvoir Street.

The Tyler Brothers partnership was dissolved in 1886 and they continued separately.

Henry Peters Tyler set up on his own in 1886 as H. P. Tyler selling boots and shoes, becoming H. P. Tyler Ltd. Tylers shoe shops.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 23:17 BST (UK) »
Just an observation, your George 2 GT Granddad was a  Commercial Traveller  and R Gibson wren lane advertised 1800 for a journeyman cooper- thus was George (Died 1845) a journeyman cooper from a later 1806/12 advert from Gibson.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 11:31 BST (UK) »

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RfliAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA529&dq=andrew+hoods+a+cooper+glasgow&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=andrew%20hoods%20a%20cooper%20glasgow&f=false

1765 - ‎Read
... Fulton in Auchterarder James Forgie shoemaker in Maxwelton Andrew Foulds landlabourer in Old Monkland Andrew ... John Hunter gardiner in Elliock James Hoods cooper in Glasgow James Hamilton there Andrew Hannah wright there

Hoods Andrew, cooper, fouth fide Gallowgate

Jones Glasgow Directory 1787 - East End Glasgow History 

http://www.glasgowhistory.co.uk/Books/1787Directory/DirectoryChapters/Directory.htm
Cooper William, merchant, Currie's clofs, High-ftreet ... Cooper James, fhoemaker , north fide Argyle-ftreet ..... Hoods Andrew, cooper, fouth fide Gallowgate

D= (deacon) Trade house Andrew Hood cooper

http://www.glasgowhistory.co.uk/Books/1787Directory/DirectoryChapters/Lists.htm

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thank you, for you attempts to discover Cooper information.

I really agree with your comment, I have got to find some other record, which name Gibson and Hood at Selby circa 1812, which just might offer some more info / clue, about George Hood.

I am chasing up an Archive for a reply, as to whether they may possibly have the types of Manorial documents (which may possibly help me) e.g. Lord Petre's Lease counterfoil, Tenant's Survey or Rental, amongst their Manor of Selby collections.

There is always some record, hiding away in a bound Volume, a bundle or a file, but little break-down of the cat reference, online.

Thank you, Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 July 16 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

These are the earliest known facts on George Hood d 1845 aged 60 notably R. Gibson a Cooper Wren lane Selby. George's training of being a cooper has mentioned a few times but there are these simple questions, being was George brought up by a master cooper as his apprentice  from his parents with modest means to fund his apprenticeship or a poor boy funded and educated by the parish overseer in this modest humble trade and George stays with this trade as a worker at 21 on humble wage. Not George? he is trained, he also has in a few short years aged 25 (ish) to earn income savings or has business knowledge to convince a bank to loan or investment backer to fund him to buy R Gibsons business as the investor has trust in his skills-doubtful. !!

If George was brought up in his fathers or grandfathers well established business as a cooper/brewer with his brothers and say the family business or bank **, who knew George's history of his family upbringing skills in the cooper trade & running the business skills may back George with funding to turn around a bankrupt cooper business. - is possible !!

Maybe I'm wrong! its not R Gibson wanting a an assistant cooper advert George saw in newspaper but George a young man with a few years out of his time aged 25 ready to fly the nest of a family business with maybe older brothers in the trade or business with no prospect there for George and he saw the bankrupt R Gibson cooper Selby business 1807 to  1810 information notice in the newspapers and that attracted him to set up ** to start on his own business in Selby from a far away location was the carrot.

Wheelwrights and cooper trades harmonized as joiner come blacksmith looking after maintenance of wagons and barrels within the brewery trade -A specialize maintenance trade to repair old or make new barrels, cartwheels, carts or wagons - within a business of brewing.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 July 16 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave and All

Extensive research in the British Newspaper Archive (BNA) which includes many Yorkshire titles for possible adverts advertising Richard Gibson's business has been done, using several search terms, one at a time.

I have little knowledge of circa 1812, only that George Hood was an Occupier and Ld Petre was the Proprietor of the Selby premises, with the Land Tax amount.

Baines 1822 confirms George Hood, a Cooper at Wren Lane.

The 1835 Auction advert in the Bradford Newspaper of many Lots at Selby for Auction (likely a chunk of the Manor being sold off) indicating that Lot 15 in Wren Lane was occupied by George Hood his Under-tenants and John Green.

The matching 1836 Property Deed Registration Petre and Others to Hood (naming all the parties) confirms regarding the Wren Lane premises by [likely Manorial] Survey "heretofore in the occupation of Richard Gibson and Thomas Holliday but now of the said George Hood and his undertenants and of John Green having premises of William Hood on & towards the southeast the said street called Micklegate" ...

Thank you & where I go from here
I really appreciate your burning quest to help and other friendly Rootschatters, Goughy, Bumblebee, and all, for every effort to uncover new information, and Frank who drove to the R.C. Cemetery, to look.

But, I really want to concentrate now, on securing replies from a couple of Archives, one already contacted (& now re-contacted) and a second just contacted, as to what they hold in their Petre Collections and visiting, if they are unable to do a copying service.

Many, many thanks to all who have looked for information and all who contributed to my various threads.

I send my kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 July 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
My interest is purely the challenge ! of this man with no beginning and no resting end place ???  but well detailed life in Selby.

Just to add ! George marriage 1815 confirms George as a cooper and (I forget which one off hand) a 1818 trade directory confirms George at Wren lane Cooper.

I'll continue with my own research on these Glasgow Hood(s) that most likely comes to nothing but still good elimination work -but one never knows as my find something  ??? also Hood's keep popping up as wine and spirit dealers plus brewing or booze in general ;D  all over the UK -  ???

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 July 16 23:43 BST (UK) »
My interest is purely the challenge ! of this man with no beginning and no resting end place ???  but well detailed life in Selby.

Hello dobfarm

Thank you.

Jonathan Hutchinson (friend and Arbitrator - George Hood's 1846 Will) was from Gedney, Lincs.

1 Feb 1811
On Sunday the 13th ult. in Spittle-fields, London, in the 77th year of his age, ... the Rev. Robert Hood, M.A. Curate of Guyhirn Chapel, in the Parish of Wisbech St Mary, and Master of the Grammar-school at Holbeach, in this county. He was appointed to that situation on the death of the late Rev. Richard Gibson, M.A. who died Oct. 1st, 1783.-  ... The right of nomination of Guyhirn Chapel is in the gift of the Rev. Abraham Jobson, D.D. Vicar of Wisbech St Peter's with St. Mary's annexed; and the school of Holbeach is in the gift of Feoffees, with a proviso that no one should be admitted to the mastership of the said school but a Graduate of one of the universities of Oxford or Cambridge.

Lincolnshire Chronicle 28 December 1838.
At Holbeach, on the 15th inst, Mrs Hood, sen., relict of the Rev. Robert Hood: her remains were interred, on the 19th, in the family vault in the parish church at that place.

10 Dec 1813. On Wednesday the 1st instant, Mr. Edward Goddard, grocer and draper of Holbeach, to Miss Mary Eleanor Hood, youngest daughter of the late Rev. Robert Hood, of that place.

9 July 1819. [Thurs 1st] Same day, at Holbeach, Mr Oldershaw, of Gedney Dyke, to Miss Martha Hood, eldest daughter of the late Rev. Mr. Hood, minister of Holbeach and Guyhurn.

27 July 1821. On Tuesday last, aged 33, Mr H. W. Hood, surgeon and apothecary, of Holbeach.

9 Nov 1821.  ... the infant daughter of Mr. Robert Hood, of Holbeach.

16 Aug 1839. At Boston, on Friday last, of cancer, occasioned by the drawing of a tooth, aged 43, Mr John Hood of Sleaford, youngest son of the late Rev. Rt. Hood, of Holbeach.

17 Mar 1848. At Moulton Seas End, on Friday last, Mr. Saml. Hood, aged 56, eldest son of the late Rev. Robert Hood Vicar of Holbeach.

Not getting excited - could be a coincidence, need to find baptism / burial in the area for George.

Hopefully, free, on Lincs to the past. Logged in, but can't see images on tablet.

Thanks regards, Mark