Author Topic: Meath Ireland  (Read 6552 times)

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meath Ireland
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 August 16 15:54 BST (UK) »
If the family were tailors, there is possibly no Applotment record.

1851 1482/182/40
St Martin in the Fields

James Lindsay 56 yrs Tailor b Ireland
Mary Lindsay 56 yrs Tailoress b Wiltshire, Devizes

Who were the witnesses to the 1842 marriage?

Thomas and Harriet Davies were the witnesses. 

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think I may have some good news for you

I was today in the RCB Library in Dublin, where many of the original Anglican Church records that survive today are kept. Only a small fraction of these records are online, so for most records it involves asking for a register for a specific parish, and turning the pages very gently.

The good news is that the Birth records for Oldcastle parish in County Meath are there. And on page 21 entry number 126 is
" (Birth) Thomas, son of Thomas and Jane Lyndsay of this parish, born 20th April 1821".

The family  had further birth entries as follows
Jane born  1816
Mary born 1819
James born 1824
John born 1826
Robert born 1829

However there is an entry in the Burials section
Jane Lyndsay aged 40 died April 1832

One cannot take photos of the registers, but the Library Staff are happy to handle a request from you for Digital copies, which they will charge ten euros per copy item. Their website is
www.libraryireland.anglican.org and you can email them at library@ireland.anglican.org

There are some other Lyndsay names in the book who may or may not be related to them. I am under some time pressure now but if you are interested I will give them in another post in a few days

Hope this helps your search

Kevin (meath999)

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 22:42 BST (UK) »

I was today in the RCB Library in Dublin, where many of the original Anglican Church records that survive today are kept. Only a small fraction of these records are online, so for most records it involves asking for a register for a specific parish, and turning the pages very gently.

The good news is that the Birth records for Oldcastle parish in County Meath are there. And on page 21 entry number 126 is
" (Birth) Thomas, son of Thomas and Jane Lyndsay of this parish, born 20th April 1821".

Jane born  1816
Mary born 1819
James born 1824
John born 1826
Robert born 1829

One cannot take photos of the registers, but the Library Staff are happy to handle a request from you for Digital copies, which they will charge ten euros per copy item. Their website is
www.libraryireland.anglican.org and you can email them at library@ireland.anglican.org

There are some other Lyndsay names in the book who may or may not be related to them. I am under some time pressure now but if you are interested I will give them in another post in a few days

Kevin (meath999)
oh my goodness!!  Thank you so much!  This is wonderful news!  If you are at all able to get any more names for me that would be so amazing.  This is truly wonderful.  Thank  you so much.

Teresa

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 23:01 BST (UK) »

Jane born  1816
Mary born 1819
James born 1824
John born 1826
Robert born 1829

Kevin (meath999)
oh my goodness!!  Thank you so much!  This is wonderful news!  If you are at all able to get any more names for me that would be so amazing.  This is truly wonderful.  Thank  you so much.

Teresa
P. S  Thomas was living with a James Lindsay in London in 1841 who also says he is from Ireland.  He is 45 so could be an uncle?

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 September 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Apologies but in my earlier post I   left a dot out of the name of the website of the RCB Library in Dublin. It should have read www.library.ireland.anglican.org

As to Other Lyndsays in the Oldcastle Register, can I observe that different scribes seem to use different spellings for the same family, so "Lyndsay" , "Lindsay" , "Lynsey" all appear.

There are two entries in the burial section for -
       Cath. Lyndsay wife of W??????? aged 79 died Jan 1822

then later

Whitehand Lyndsay aged 80 died 1823

There are Birth entries for two children of David and Frances Lyndsay

Frances a daughter b Jan 11 1816
and  Charles a son b Jan 13th 1819

There is a baptism entry for William Lyndsay Jan 29 1814 with no parents listed.

I will try and type all these up again in table form to make them more readable.

Lastly there is nothing in the register to show whether your James is an Uncle or not.

Cheers
Kevin (Meath999)

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 01 September 16 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Apologies but in my earlier post I   left a dot out of the name of the website of the RCB Library in Dublin. It should have read www.library.ireland.anglican.org

As to Other Lyndsays in the Oldcastle Register, can I observe that different scribes seem to use different spellings for the same family, so "Lyndsay" , "Lindsay" , "Lynsey" all appear.

There are two entries in the burial section for -
       Cath. Lyndsay wife of W??????? aged 79 died Jan 1822

then later

Whitehand Lyndsay aged 80 died 1823

There are Birth entries for two children of David and Frances Lyndsay

Frances a daughter b Jan 11 1816
and  Charles a son b Jan 13th 1819

There is a baptism entry for William Lyndsay Jan 29 1814 with no parents listed.

I will try and type all these up again in table form to make them more readable.

Lastly there is nothing in the register to show whether your James is an Uncle or not.

Cheers
Kevin (Meath999)
Thank you so much for your help.  The lack of names could mean they lived somewhere else do you think, or were they Catholic?
How can I locate James and see if he fits in?  I know there is a James in Wicklow around the right time.  Is that anywhere near and of any use do you think?

Teresa

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 September 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
To answer your questions,
(1) these registers I am looking at for Oldcastle are for the Church of Ireland i.e. Protestant, and it would be most unusual at that time for Catholics to be baptised in a protestant church, especially as in Oldcastle at that time 1820 there was also a catholic church.
(2) Also you asked about Wicklow , well in the late 1700s early 1800s lots of Ireland was a war zone, with Wicklow and Wexford at the centre and movement to them would be unlikely.

But, the records in Oldcastle only begin in 1814 so the James , a tailor living in UK aged 45 in 1841 census could well have been born in Oldcastle , as he would be in the earlier registers which unfortunately no longer exist.

Lastly I am interested in whether Whiteland Lyndsay and his wife Catherine who are buried in Oldcastle could possibly be parents of Thomas ?? Its such an unusual firstname that it might be worth searching widely for it??

But you really are getting to the limits of all existing Irish records.

Cheers
Kevin (meath999)