Author Topic: The Missing Man. Dominic Michael Stringer  (Read 10197 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Missing Man.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 July 16 21:33 BST (UK) »
Referring back to his CRS10  Merchant Seaman card, Can you remember   what his description was, please?   and whether he had any distinguishing  features.

The thought  occurs to me  that he assumed the identity of another person   shortly after his escape from Singapore.

The CRS10 does not give a description of him at all. My hubby says he had a dirk tattoo on his calf muscle and a tattoo on one or both of his arms.

he change of identity is a distinctly possible but my own feeling is he did it the reverse way round.  He claimed he had to get out of Glasgow in a hurry (also I wonder if he was underage to sign uo too?)  He said he went back to Glasgow and sought out the police officer that had been chasing him and said you cant touch me now(implying he was in uniform and thus a protected occupation and the laws introduced in 1938 I believe). Shortly after his death we traced a man he grew up with who said he was always known as "Mickey Stringer" in Glasgow.
   One part of the Seamans record card must give a description of the man.   Height, build,  Eye colour, distinguishing features.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 July 16 21:43 BST (UK) »
  One part of the Seamans record card must give a description of the man.   Height, build,  Eye colour, distinguishing features.

Thank you Scouseboy,

this confirms my suspicions for many years that the CRS10 we were given is not complete.
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 July 16 23:12 BST (UK) »
The National Archives of Ireland have a file on him.
A trial in 1945 in Rome of Merchant Seaman Dominic Michael Stringer
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

As was discussed then, the entry shows for him as Dominick. He is also referred to as an Irish Citizen. This is one of the strongest 'hard fact' leads you have for him. Have you made enquiries on this? Considered a personal look up by a researcher? Not clear though what the access to these records may be and whether they are 'open'.

You have worked so hard and long on this all, Hazel  :-\

Cannot see anything really so far in Maryhill around that period for Stringer on SP.

Just as a point for ref. You mentioned elsewhere that father John Patrick Stringer was a carpenter (from Dominic's 1943 marriage reg).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 00:06 BST (UK) »
The National Archives of Ireland have a file on him.
A trial in 1945 in Rome of Merchant Seaman Dominic Michael Stringer
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

As was discussed then, the entry shows for him as Dominick. He is also referred to as an Irish Citizen. This is one of the strongest 'hard fact' leads you have for him. Have you made enquiries on this? Considered a personal look up by a researcher? .....

Cannot see anything really so far in Maryhill around that period for Stringer on SP.

Just as a point for ref. You mentioned elsewhere that father John Patrick Stringer was a carpenter (from Dominic's 1943 marriage reg).

Monica

Hi Monica,

ReIrish papers,  I did apply to Ireland and they were kind enough to copy for me about 6 small memos that discussed whether they would be able to support Dad at his trial in Rome.  Sadly these pages do not appear to confirm if they did support him or not.  I had a lady from this site offer to look up the information for me when she was next at the Records Office but sagly she never came back to me about it.

Regarding  his father, John Patrick, yes he was a carpenter and worked for a time in the Glasgow Docks. 

I have a habit of not always putting in all the information when I start a new thread as it sometimes leads to further little snips coming to light.  It was by this method I found out that he had been torpedoed several times and that it was from a torpedoed ship that he arrived in Trinidad. 
Just think when I started this quest all I knew was that he had been brought up in Glasgow, escaped Singapore on a boat called Daisy and somehow had turned up in the West Indies where he married Mike's Mum.  It has been like hunting identical grains of sand on a beach!

Currently,  I am also trying to write a very diplomatic letter to send to a potential relative - a John P Stringer who lives in Glasgow.  It is not easy, as if Dad were that much of a black sheep I am concerned to open a whole nest of worms for some poor stranger!
Deavin London and France

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 04:05 BST (UK) »

Thank you Scouseboy,

I found the transcript of the CRS10 I typed up many years back  - this is all  it shows:
     Cardiff copied part of his CRS 10 and a few pages from a ships log in
     which he got himself into trouble.  The CRS10 shows DOMINIC MICHAEL
     STRINGER born 14.4.1919 EIRE Rating JUNIOR ENGINEER and nothing
     else.  Under clothing it states "certified certificate of sea  service from
     ....." rest illegible. 
     The main entries on the ship's service section show:
      WELLANDOC (USA)
      CANPOOLIN (11158) 8.5.44 transferred to special payments sick 28.5.44   
      Montreal
      SAMSPEED (180011) 20.6.44  SUEZ 21.7.44
      POOLIN  (990) Cairo 30.7.44
      POOLIN 3.8.44
      Discharged from manning pool owing to refusal of duty
      FORT MASSAC 16.8.44
      TREVANION 12.10.44
       EMPRE BAIRN
11.6.45 sick for repatriation

Deavin London and France

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 06:26 BST (UK) »
In one of the threads you posted somewhere you mentioned a primary school in Maryhill have you got anywhere with records from there?

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 09:08 BST (UK) »
In one of the threads you posted somewhere you mentioned a primary school in Maryhill have you got anywhere with records from there?

Hi Amelia,

Early in our search we went to Glasgow and at the Mitchell Library managed to find existing records of St Josephs Primary School.  Sadly the only remaining item was like a day to day diary.  We read trough about 20 years of entries to make sure we covered any possible mistake in date of birth but Dad was not mentioned.

The Mitchell Library said the St Aloysuis records were held  by themselves and so I wrote there without success.
Deavin London and France

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 09:21 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at some of the Dominick/Dominic Michael births in Ireland with a different surname? I just wonder if he was illegitimate or their was confusion about his actual surname (on his part) and he was with his maternal Grandmother who was Stringer. It sounds like Michael at least was a genuine name as he was known as Mickey as a child.
Have you managed to trace the Janet Patrick Stringer/Springall at all in the census? I had a look but couldn't see her but I struggle with SP. Btw she is registered as Springall when she dies it's just her previous name is also indexed.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: The Missing Man. Dominic Michael Stringer
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 13:20 BST (UK) »
On looking through the Irish census for 1911, there is a John Stringer in the Dublin area, but he is 58 and married with no children. The reason I mention is that he was a carpenter by occupation (and RC).

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Mabbot_St_/20141/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk