Author Topic: The Missing Man. Dominic Michael Stringer  (Read 10203 times)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Missing Man. Dominic Michael Stringer
« Reply #63 on: Friday 15 July 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
It could be one of the other deaths and it could be none of the deaths but maybe they could be ruled out? Obviously some of them don't even die as Stringers, SP website performs the search using all surnames and you cannot tell which one was in use until you view the actual record (as far as I'm aware)

Thanks Amelia,

I wiill addthese to my records and cross reference them against all my inormation.  Although they may or may not fiit now or iin the future.  It may well helpat some pont.

Thank you for your time and the credits spent for me.
 ;D
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Any information! Dominic Michael Stringer
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
My father in law (Dominic Michael Stringer) was a bit of a mystery and trying to find anything about his childhood is very frustrating!  He attended St Joseph's Primary School in Raglan Street and then apparently because he was considered very bright St Aloysius, but not the fee paying one He claimed several things: that he was brought up by his grandmother after his own mother and twin (sister?) died when he was born; that his father hated him because of the circumstances of his birth; that he skipped school as soon as he found out they were trying to turn him into a priest and that his brother "Jack" got him out of Glasgow in a hurry when he got into trouble with the police.  He said that Johnny Ramensky was "family" though I seriously doubt that - unless maybe if they were both members of the same gang and the gang members considered themselves as family.  I do not know for sure that he was a member of a gang.  I know a fair amount about his service in the later war years,but not how he got to Singapore just in time for to escape.  He was friends with John, Mary and Joe Gough who also grew up around that area.  He had connections with Benny lynch and several other Glaswegian boxers and also some footballers, most noteably Archibald  MacPherson

He returned to Glasgow twice - once shortly after his problems when he deliberately sought out the policeman that had been after him and boasted to him that the copper "could not touch him now"  and once about 1956 ish when he discovered that his father and brother were both dead.  One quite recently and one many years earlier.  The incident with the policeman made us wonder if he joined the forces but we have been unsuccessful in proving that. 

He does not have a birth certificate that we can find.  Some official papers from late in the war from the Merchant Navy give his date of birth as 14.4.1919 Eire.  I have his marriage certificate 30.1.1943 Bridgetown, Barbados which says his father's name is John Patrick Stringer.  I cannot find a birth or death certificate anywhere for John Patrick!  Dominic Michael died in London in 1986

I have tried through this site and many others, to track down information about him without success.  I am hoping someone here might be able to provide further clues to this elusive man's childhood.

Thank you for reading!
Deavin London and France

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 17:07 BST (UK) »
Just did a search on www.irishgenealogy.ie looking for a death in 1919 (used 1918 to 1922)

If Dominic was a twin and the twin and his mother died, you would expect a death record for at least his mother but there is no logical match LINK
There are only 24 deaths registered in Ireland during 1918-1922
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
Just did a search on www.irishgenealogy.ie looking for a death in 1919 (used 1918 to 1922)

If Dominic was a twin and the twin and his mother died, you would expect a death record for at least his mother but there is no logical match. ......  There are only 24 deaths registered in Ireland during 1918-1922

Hi myluck,

This is exactly our problem!  We are thinking that he may have taken his grandmother's surname so he does not appear to stand out amongst other kids at school by having a surname different to the people he was living with.  This leaves us with the problem of what was his birth name ......  I am slowly working my way through Irish births of a Dominic(k) Michael on FindMyPast in Eire, leaving the surname open.  I have about 33 to cross check to see if I can find any reference to Stringer or as a very  outside chance Burke - he claimed to have a cousin called Tommy Burke.  Happy days
Deavin London and France