Author Topic: John Whitehead Warre - the Wye Valley memorial  (Read 2882 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Whitehead Warre - the Wye Valley memorial
« on: Tuesday 12 July 16 09:30 BST (UK) »
Many years ago while walking along the Wye River (near Coppett Hill and Welsh Bicknor) I came across a memorial to John Whitehead Warre a 16 year old who drowned in the Wye River.   The inscription was an extremely lengthy one, and I copied it down in the back of my wildflower guidebook.  Having just come across it again, I thought it worthy of publishing (especially as it was one of my ancestors who devised the method of "bringing apparently drowned individuals back to life").  Note that the last few lines weren't able to be read clearly.   The monument is mentioned and marked on this walking guide http://www.herefordshireramblers.org.uk/coppetthill.pdf

"Sacred to the memory of John Whitehead Warre who disappear this spot whilst bathing in the River Wye in sight of his parents brother and sisters on the 14th of September 1804
In the 16th year of his age
God’s will be done!
Who in his mercy hath granted consolation to the parents of the dear departed in the reflection that he possessed.  Truth, innocence filial piety and fraternal affection in the highest degree.  That but a few moments before he was called to a better life.  He had (with a never to be forgotten Piety) joined his family in joyful thanks to his Maker for the restoration of his Mothers health.  His parents in justice to his amiable virtues and excellent disposition declare He was void of offence towards them.  With humbled hearts they bow to the Almightys dispensation trusting thro the mediation of his blessed Son He will mercifully receive their child He so suddenly took to himself.
This monument is here erected to warn parents and others to be careful how they trust the deceitful stream and particularly to exhort them to learn and observe the directions of the Humane Society for the recovery of Persons apparently drowned.  Alas! It is with the extreme sorrow here commemorated what anguish is felt from the want of this knowledge. The lamented youth swam very well, was endowed with great bodily strength and activity and possibly had proper applications been used might have been saved from his untimely fate.  He was born at Oporto in the Kingdom of Portugal on the 14th Feb 1789 Third son of James Warre of London and of the County of Somerset, Merchant, and Eleanor daughter of Thomas Greg of Belfast Esq.
Passenger, who ere thou art Spare this tomb.  It is erected for the benefit of the surviving being but a poor record of the Grief of those that witnessed the sad occasion of it.  God preserve you, and yours from such calamity ……[unreadable]… their assistance but if you unfortunately should….[unreadable]… with directions for their application by the Humane Society for the …..ing of persons apparently drowned are lodged at the Church of Coldwell…."

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Whitehead Warre - the Wye Valley memorial
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 09:36 BST (UK) »
Referring to the Humane Society directions for rescuing those apparently drowned:
from http://www.royalhumanesociety.org.uk/html/history.html

"The Society was founded in London in 1774 by two doctors, William Hawes (1736-1808) and Thomas Cogan (1736-1818).

They were concerned at the number of people wrongly taken for dead - and, in some cases, buried alive. Both men wanted to promote the new, but controversial, medical technique of resuscitation and offered money to anyone rescuing someone from the brink of death."

I don't know anything about Thomas Cogan, but I do have family links for William HAWES (being the grandfather of Sarah HAWES married to John CURTIS, and links to DONKIN, BRUNEL, GURNEY and other families which I am happy to share.