Author Topic: Balteagh Presbyterian Church - Millen/Mylne  (Read 4197 times)

Offline smallnest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Balteagh Presbyterian Church - Millen/Mylne
« on: Tuesday 12 July 16 21:38 BST (UK) »
This is my first inquiry, so I apologize if I am in the wrong pew! 

I am seeking information about the family of my great great grandfather SOLOMON MYLNE (sometimes shown as MILLEN) who was born in Limavady in 3 December 1821 and whose family seems to have strong connections to Limavady/Carnet/Garvagh and Balteagh Presbyterian Church.

His parents were ROBERT MYLNE/MILLEN and MARY CLYDE (both born in Scotland between 1780 and 1790 I think), who married on 25 May 1811 at 1st Garvagh Presbyterian Church.

I have oral history indicating that Solomon his early education was at the "common school of the district" after which he was passed on to a "private classical school in Limavady" and later attended Presbyterian College in Belfast approximately 1839–1843 and Belfast College Divinity Hall 1843-1846.  He received a Certificate of Arts and Divinity. He later emigrated to Canada and then retired in the USA.

I also believe that Solomon had a brother named SAMUEL MYLNE/MILLEN who married Elizabeth Adams (daughter of John Adams).  They had a son named ROBERT CLYDE MILLEN and we have learned that at his death he left the majority of his estate to Balteagh Presbyterian Church.

I was unable to locate telephone or email contact information for the Balteagh Presbyterian church

I understand that the records of Balteagh Presbyterian Church are not available through PRONI and I am very interested in obtaining confirmation of any information regarding SOLOMON MYLNE/MILLEN’s birth/baptism records as well as emigration info/marriage/death/burial records for his parents. 

Are there any local historical reference books which might contain information of this type?

Thanks in advance,
Bonnie Mylne Small

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Balteagh Presbyterian Church - Millen/Mylne
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 23:19 BST (UK) »
Not sure if there's a connection here but why do you think Mary Clyde was born in Scotland?

Solomon, not that common a name, has been handed down in several generations of the Clyde family who belonged to First Garvagh Presbyterian Church.

Unfortunately, names of parents or a townland aren't listed in the early marriage records. One of the earliest Clydes I have is Thomas Clyde (c1757-1834) from Gortfad (just outside Garvagh) who I believe to be the father of Samuel Clyde of Gortfad. That Samuel had a son Solomon Clyde (c1820-1876), grandsons Solomon Alfred Clyde (1869-1942) and Solomon Clyde (1868-1893), great-grandson Alfred Solomon Clyde (1902-2000).

There is also a lease in Lord Garvagh's papers dated 1800 for John Clyde of Bellruy with two sons mentioned- John (eldest) born c1793 and Samuel born c1795. So, the family have been in the area for quite a while.

PRONI, and Coleraine Library (box #74), do have microfilmed records for Balteagh Presbyterian Church-
Baptisms 1868-1932
Marriages 1845-1936
Communicants 1890-1957
Teasurer's notebooks 1832-1846
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline smallnest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 23:46 BST (UK) »
My information about Mary Clyde's birthplace is from oral family history (and therefore likely flawed) - I was told recently that there is a strong contingent of Clydes in Terrydoo and Coleraine but I don't know if that is true or not.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 00:01 BST (UK) »
It's quite a common think here amongst Presbyterian families to say they came from Scotland even if it was a few generations back.

Marriages usually take place in the bride's church and that along with the name Solomon makes me think there could be a connection to Gortfad rather than Limavady area.

You can get an idea of the distribution of the Clydes in 1831 census here (select 1831 & Londonderry then sort results by parish)- for some result each household is listed twice-
Desertoghill & Errigal covers Garvagh area, only 1 household in Coleraine, etc
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 07:29 GMT (UK) »

I have been searching for years for a family called Gibson,in Carrick/Balteagh. I had been told (several times) there was NO Presbyterian church in Balteagh,that if they were Presbyterians (they were) they would have attended Bovevagh Pres church,sometimes known as Scriggan church.
The man I'looking for is Alexander Gibson born c 1833,father William Gibson - mother possibly Martha ???
I know this is no help to Millen/mylne family,but is there  Balteagh Pres Church?

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Agnetta,
Yes there is definitely a Balteagh Presbyterian Church in the Foyle Presbytery.  It was formed in 1823 by families who had previously worshipped at Drumachose.  Scriggan that you mention was dissolved in 1905, with most of its members joining Balteagh.  The congregation was united with Bovevagh in 1974.

Hope this helps

Brown1777

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 November 19 04:06 GMT (UK) »

Brown 1777 - thanks for that. Explains a few things re where they lived, and where weddings and     
    baptisms took place.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 November 19 08:33 GMT (UK) »
According to the PRONI guide to church records, they have a copy of Balteagh Presbyterian baptisms for the years 1868-1932 and marriages for 1845-1936.  So there don’t appear to be any baptisms for the period you are interested in (c 1833).
Elwyn

Offline smallnest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 November 19 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I do not know if it is the same church, but I have visited Balteagh Presbyterian Church in Limavady, Northern Ireland - here is the address:

Balteagh Presbyterian Church
199 Drumsurn Road
Limavady
BT49 0PH
Northern Ireland

Best,
Bonnie