Author Topic: Help on Birth details of Jonathan Strong  (Read 910 times)

Offline unclejohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help on Birth details of Jonathan Strong
« on: Wednesday 13 July 16 07:43 BST (UK) »
Am hoping someone can help me with details regarding the birth of my 5x Great Grandfather
(Jonathan) Strong. I believe he was born in in or around Caldbeck/Greystoke Cumberland,  He  married a Mary Barnes who was born in Caldbeck on 03 October 1742 and who married Jonathan on 17 September 1761 also in Caldbeck. I can find births around the right dates (1735-1742) but all for a forename John and not Jonathan. It is possible the  transcription in "familysearch.org" is incorrect and his name is John. Any help would be most gratefully accepted.
Uncle John

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help on Birth details of Jonathan Strong
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 11:08 BST (UK) »
There seem to be 8ish baptisms in Caldbeck with parents Jonathan and Mary starting in 1763, so it looks like Jonathan is the correct name. Unless he was born John and changed it.
It looks like first born was Isaac - could be Jonathan's father's name.
There are baptisms to a Joseph Strong and wife Mary in Caldbeck at the same time. Looks like this is the Joseph who married Mary Martindale in Caldbeck on 19 Oct 1760. Maybe Joseph and Jonathan are related.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help on Birth details of Jonathan Strong
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
It's definitely Johnathan he was buried at Caldbeck 15.11.1780 or 2 Sep 1808.
There is a earlier Johnathan buried 15.2.1756
Other burials who are not children 1716-1796 - Jane 5.11.1768,John 9.10.1763,and John 30.1.1774.
Also Joseph s of Johnathan and Mary buried  27.3.1780.It seems Mary didn't die until 8.4.1822.

It does look to me that the earlier baptisms before c 1750 may not be on line,have you checked them manually?It looks like there was an earlier generation in the parish.
Benjamin and Mary,Joseph and Mary and John and Susan nee Bell married 2.4.1758 also seem the same generation as Johnathan.
I'd be surprised if all the brothers suddenly appeared in the parish without their parents.

Ciderdrinker