Author Topic: George Adamson c1806  (Read 1344 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Adamson c1806
« on: Wednesday 13 July 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
George Adamson was apparently born in Ruthwell, now Dumfries & Galloway, around 1806. By 1828 he was living in Rochdale, Lancs., with his English bride Ann Holden, and was a tea dealer with several employees.  I am trying to find out more about his background and parentage, as George & Ann are my gt-gt-grandparents.  Can anyone help, please?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George Adamson c1806
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillg,

There are quite a few online trees covering this family showing George's birth as 30 Sep 1805 Graitney, Gretna, Dumfriesshire with parents Robert Adamson and Janet Bell - both names repeated in the true Scottish manner with George's two eldest children.

Do you have his trade directory entries?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 22:42 BST (UK) »
With Br1gau's details, there is some info here on family on this old post on another forum http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY/2001-11/1006803869

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 16 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Monica and Br1gau. 

It's great to see the directory entries.  Also living in East Street was my grandfather, who married George's daughter Sarah Ann Adamson.

The Rootsweb posting you referred me to was made by another Gt-gt-granddaughter of George, whose gt-grandmother Jannet (sic) Bell Adamson married another of the East Street Scots, draper George Miller.  We made contact quite some time ago and shared some information then, but it's interesting to see where the information came from. 

These then are my Scottish ancestors, Lowland Scots from just over the border in Gretna and area. 

Gill 

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline joysofglass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 January 18 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi All other descendants of George Adamson Tea Dealer from Scotland, later Rochdale.
 Not been on here for ages and then I had a different now defunct email address.
I was googling to find George and found lots of references to him on hiere.
 Gillg I initially saw a post which said you had paintings of my gg grandparents George Adamson and Ann (or Hannah) Holden and would be sooooooo delighted to see a photo if you have one.

My current tree is on Ancestry. I have an older version on Rootsweb but for last several times I've tried I just get Rootsweb is unavailable so can't show you.

I'm descended from George and Ann's daughter Jannet Bell who married George Miller (also from Scotland which makes me 3/32th Scottish). Then their son Alexander Miller who married Frances Ann Topping, their son John Thomas Miller who married Annie Noble, their son Keith Miller is or rather was my father.

Will go off for a read now to see what else I've missed since my last visit.

Joy Salt nee Valerie Joy Miller.

Offline joysofglass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 January 18 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Gillg

Just read the post above mine and yes we undoubtedly did make contact before.  I have technical problems as my old email was Freeserve and was killed off by EE last year leaving me bereft... Even worse when I changed PCs my old one refused to export my emails created under XP Windows Mail so they are now extremely difficult to access. I have them but reading them is a different matter.

We must of course be third cousins.   I really would love photos as I have nothing at all from this side. My G Grandfather, Alexander, Jannet Bell's son, was the family black sheep. Died very young supposedly of drink and did not follow his quite well off father George Miller into the family business but was last seen working on the railway. George remarried after Jannet Bell died (after giving birth to at least 3 sets of twins only one of which survived) and had another 4 children, all girls, none of whom I've managed to trace.

I can't unfortunately open the link above to the original thread because of the Rootsweb access problem.  I will go back to see if I can find the one I found a little while ago while googling.
Joy xx

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 January 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joy

It's a while since we were in touch and you let me see your extensive family tree, which filled in quite a few gaps for me on my side and let me see more of my Scottish ancestry - I'm even less Scottish than you!  According to family legend, it was your ancestor Alexander Miller whose drinking habits led to my side of the family becoming fervent teetotallers for several generations - my cousin was the first to break the habit, having partaken of a glass of sherry at her office party.  Her mother was horrified and exclaimed "But I signed the pledge for you!".  The rest of our generation followed my cousin's example, I'm afraid, but my mother and aunt remained committed abstainers.

The family portraits were bequeathed to me by Vera McIvor, my mother's cousin and daughter of Annie McIvor, the remaining living child from George and Jannet Miller's three sets of twins.  They were, of course, Vera's grandparents.  The portraits were hanging on her living room wall when my husband and I once visited her and we were interested to hear her talk about them.  I supposed since she never married and was not only a relative but a close friend of my family, she decided to leave them to me, to my great surprise.  We've never been able to hang them, as they are rather large, but my son intends to hang them in his hall, which is quite roomy.  The better portrait is of George, looking very stern, while Jannet looks quite frail and isn't so well executed.  My husband took photos of the portraits, which I have somewhere on another computer, but I'll look them out and send them to you as soon as I find them. 

Just to remind you, Jannet Bell Adamson was the older sister of my gt-grandmother, Sarah Ann Adamson, who married John Hurst.  Their only surviving son, George Thomas, was the father of my mother Sarah Ann Hurst.  Like Jannet, Sarah lost several babies, seven boys in her case, though she did have four girls who all survived.

I've just read your other message, too.  Thanks for that.  I'm not young, but wasn't as old as I appeared in the tree!

Gill

Offline joysofglass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 January 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gill.  I think I now have those photos of the paintings. via another cousin descended from George's brother, not an Adamson.  Possible you've been in touch with her as she said someone sent her the photos but she's lost the emails.  Roberta Snape. I'd seen the photos on her tree but hadn't realised they were real people, thought they were just examples of the time as it were.

I sent you an email which I've pasted in below, it bounced as you must have changed address too, it was a while ago.
~~~~~~~~-
Subject: Adamson Family

Gill

I have moved to my other windows 10 computer from the windows 7 laptop I was on last night and it has kindly allowed me to access my old email family tree folder. Can only find things by searching as it has lost the original titles but better than nothing.  I have forwarded all yours from 2005 to myself and will refresh my memory later.

Apologies for having forgotten you but a lot of thing have happened since 2005 and I am not always working on my family tree.  Just when I have some spare time as most of my leisure time is now filled with making stained glass, a ‘hobby’ I took up in 2008.  That and travelling. India for 2 weeks is looking good as it’s so cold at the moment.

I found the George Adamson threat on Rootschat last night but can’t access the previous as all attempts to get onto Rootsweb fail.
Rootsweb is currently unavailable. We have been in the process of improving the site throughout 2017, and as a result of an issue we recently became aware of, we have taken the site offline while we work to resolve it.

This is quite unfortunate as I do have a lot of stuff on there. Not only my family tree but also my travel blogs.  No idea how long it will be down.
 I haven’t maintained the Rootsweb tree for ages and ages as it became too big to handle and took too long to load. 

I had my DNA done as a present last Christmas so decided to load to Ancestry instead and I updated my FTM software, once I’d moved to Windows 10 (mistake !) so I can sync to it from the tree I maintain on my computer. 

Ancestry is better in that I can add all sorts of documents and links And it doesn’t show living people which Rootsweb did. Ancestry is worse in that it is only available to those who subscribe. 

I was reading your comment about ages and think I know why they were initially wrong.  When I don’t know a date as a general rule, to give the tree some sort of time meaning, I assume 25 years per generation and usually first child born 2 years after marriage. A very rough guide but it has served me surprisingly well over the years.

Hope this finds you well and I will go off for a read of the old emails I have forwarded to my new email address, later today.

Joy