Author Topic: Cant find anything on poor FAITH HARRIS, gypsy  (Read 2879 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cant find anything on poor FAITH HARRIS, gypsy
« on: Wednesday 13 July 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
I've got rather attached to Faith  :-\  The first she comes into my tree is in 1848 when she gave birth to Barbara Jane Roberts in 1848 in Great Chart, Ashford, Kent. She lived with 'husband' Esau Roberts prior to that but had a gypsy marriage not a church marriage so no cert to find out her fathers name. Esau died of typhus before Barbara was born, and his sister Naomi Roberts reg'd the birth of Barbara. Faith died of complications in Great Chart when Barbara was a few days old, this was reg'd again by Naomi. Barbara was baptised at 4 days old in Great Chart. Faith is described as 'widow of Esau Roberts' on her death cert. So little Barbara was orphaned as a newborn, and doesnt appear on the census with any of the extended Roberts family (I have an extensive Roberts tree going sideways and every which way). I assume she was brought up by the Harris family but I dont know who these are and I cant see her on any census. Otherwise she was adopted out. No birth year for Faith as no birth cert can be found (quite normal for gypsies) and she hadnt been with Esau on the 1841 census. Esau had been born 1827. Should I accept that I cant trace the Harris family and move on?
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find anything on poor FAITH HARRIS, gypsy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 16 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
Wouldn't the death certificate or burial give an age to help?
I see a Faith Harris baptised in Bittadon Devon 18.11.1827 d of William and Elizabeth of Northcott husbandman.
Although she seems to be working as a farm servant at Churchill near Barnstaple in 1841.

As for the daughter she sees to have married in East Ashford June 1869  a Robert Edward Holmes and died in South Dakota 25th Mar 1934 .
So there should be an entry 1851 and 1861  but I can't see it.
Might the marriage certificate hold some clue?

Ciderdrinker

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 16 17:46 BST (UK) »
Going to check the death cert as soon as I get home tonight- I wonder if I've forgotten to add the info to my records. Thankyou for your help!! Hadn't realised.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
On 9 April 1848, Faith was 19 years of age. Many thanks.

Offline Erin Schlosser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm pretty new to family history research. I just found out two weeks ago that Faith and Esau were my great great grandmother's parents. I'm a direct descendent of their only daughter, Barbara Jane who died in South Dakota! I'd love to get in touch with you and see if you've got any other info, and see if there's any information that I've got that may fill in some blanks for you!

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
Replied to your private message :)

Offline arabrab

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 January 18 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Faith Harris baptised Hollington St Leonards Sussex 27 July 1828 Her father was Joseph Harris a traveller who had a number of children born around the Sussex / Kent border.

If you think this is your Faith I have a little  more information about the family.
Bucks- Young,Neale,Wright,Ludgate,Todd,Turney,Crouch,Roberts,Hoare
Oxon Whichello,Roberts,Slatter,Kimber
Kent-Fox,Medhurst,Pearson,Wimble,French,Tilby,Bassage
Herts-Pellant,Martin,Figg,Turney
London, Scotland, Ireland - McWatt
Suffolk-Fox,Sage,Scarfe,Palmer
Berks - Kimber,Dorman

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 January 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for messaging on this site. I don't have parents for Faith, she never had a legal marriage with Esau so I cant order a marriage cert for the fathers name. All I know is that Esau died while she was expecting Barbara, and Faith died shortly after the birth. Barbara later married and emigrated. Esau's sister Naomi reg'd the birth and also Faith's death. It's possible Joseph was her father - I just dont know, but if your Joseph had a Faith born c1829, it looks likely if there were no other gypsy Faith Harris' of that year in the area.

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
My direct line is to Elias Harris who was born in 1836 in Sussex. He is my 3 xgrandfather and married I think an Elizabeth Midmore. Have you come across Elias in your Harris line.

Paul

Roberts/Deacon/Barber/Rhoades/Mayo/Beeny/Johnson/Light/Whitehorn all of Sussex/Surrey/Dorset