Author Topic: Family Gent!  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Carol gent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Gent!
« on: Wednesday 13 July 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.
Still having problems finding the right family members.  I have come across two Gents that have married!!! Thomas Gent and Eleanor Gent,they married 14/4/1806,she died,10/3/1809,age 27. I found her parents, can't find Thomas, they married in Terrington St Clements. Also has anyone come across the Osborne family? they were Kings Lynn area.
Grateful as usual for any info.
Thanks Carol.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Family Gent!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 23:50 BST (UK) »
Also has anyone come across the Osborne family?

Which Osborne family and can you also include some info re: birthyears as well as names
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 16 03:48 BST (UK) »
Cannot see that Thomas Gent married again and 1841 Census shows a Thomas Gent, farmer, bc.1781 in Tilney All Saints but only servants with him - he was buried there 30/6/1846.

In view of the name he gave his daughter I would suggest that this is his baptism:

Thomas Gent bp.21/6/1778 Wiggenhall St German, Norfolk, son of William and Bathsheba.

William Gent married Bathsheba Anderson 15/10/1771 Wiggenhall St. German.

I looked at Archdeacons transcripts for this parish on familysearch since their was a 6 years gap from marriage to son Thomas' baptism in 1778.   However, there seemed to be a gap in the records between 1771-1776 so possibly children born in this period.

A Mary bp.24/4/1785 (FreeReg) but there were at least 3 daughters named Bathsheba (Barsheba).

Barsheba Ghent dau. of William and Barsheba bur.12/8/1782 (can't see baptism)
Barsheba Ghent dau. of William and Barsheba bp.18/3/1783 (per online tree) bur.22/11/1785
but then
Bathsheba Ghent, single, married a George Gromitt 13/1/1805

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Carol gent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 16 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Carole.
Thanks for your reply. My grandmother was Olive Ada Osborne b 15/3/1902.she married my grandfather Sydney Gent 1922. Family rumour has it that he was a very wealthy man,and could of retired at tha age of 21. But he then married Olive. Is there a way of finding out about his finances.
Many thanks.
Carol.
Ps they farmed at Balaclava farm,TSC Norfolk.

Offline Carol gent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 July 16 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette.
Thanks for the info, this is getting confusing as they are called William or Thomas! I shall have to check my info. I don't think the Ghents are anything to do with mine, there were so many of them. Also a lot of mariner Gents.
Thanks Carol.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 July 16 13:06 BST (UK) »
Carol

When a particular family are referred to as both Gent/Ghent in a parish's records it is simply due to the spelling written by the vicar/clerk.   The vast majority of people were illiterate and had no idea how their surname was written down.   This happened to particular families in both Wiggenhall St. German and Terrington St. Clement (where Sydney's line descends from) and no doubt other parishes too.

Can follow Sydney's line back to baptism of William bp.15/4/1804 Terrington St. Clement, son of William Gent and Mary Bates who married at TSC 10/3/1796.

William senior bur.30/7/1803 aged 32 - married.   Clearly when William died his wife was newly pregnant (maybe not even aware of it when he died). 

So, William senior was bc.1771 but apparently not in Terrington St. Clement - the earliest Gent baptisms there were from 1777 to a James and Mary who themselves do not appear to have been married in that parish either so they may well be his parents too.

As to Sydney's 'wealth' - I would doubt this.   In 1911 worked on fathers farm, in 1939 a Farm Manager - his father was still a farmer and didn't die until 1947 so Sydney wouldn't have any wealth from that and fail to see how he could have become 'wealthy' between 1911 and 1922 (when he married).   Perhaps a man with 'prospects' in 1922 re. his fathers farm but wouldn't have inherited that (if indeed he did) until his fathers death some 25 years later.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Carol gent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 July 16 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette.
Thanks again for the info.
Carol.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 July 16 09:51 BST (UK) »
UK Wills on line
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Search for "Gent" and "1947" (1858-1996 range) - there's a will for a Thomas Gent

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 July 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
The address given in the will notice 1947 links to the 1939 Register