Author Topic: Adoption Records  (Read 6852 times)

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption Records
« on: Wednesday 13 July 16 23:57 BST (UK) »
I am researching an ancestor who may have been adopted circa 1870's. On his marriage and death certificates the names of his parents are not given which leads me to think that he may have been adopted or was reared in an orphanage. Does anyone know if adoption records for this era are now available to the public? Any kind of advice greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 16 00:38 BST (UK) »
There were no adoption laws until the 1920s (1896 in WA).  There were informal arrangements where children were taken in by family/friends or they went through the system of orphanages and industrial schools where they were apprenticed out to employers up to the age of 16. 

Which State are you talking about?  The most accessible records for children in care are for NSW and Victoria.

Does the marriage certificate say 'unknown' for parents' names or is it just blank?  Were the bride's parents named?

https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 16 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I support Debra's comments, and encourage you re-check the marriage cert you hold.

......Does the marriage certificate say 'unknown' for parents' names or is it just blank?  Were the bride's parents named?

Each of the six colonies had (and as six sovereign states, they still have) their own legislative bodies so each former colony's system of civil registration varies from each other even today. 

For example,

In NSW, the civil registration system commenced 1 March 1856.  And the NSW BDM's own website recognises that their holdings for marriage registrations are not as detailed as they could be.  It is not unusual to find that the NSW BDM does not have all the details recorded by the marriage celebrant if the ceremony was held prior to 1895.  The information is usually available; NSW BDM notes this, and offers suggestions as to how to overcome those elusive blanks.   

JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 16 01:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help and advice. Regarding the marriage certificate, the names of his parents are left blank. At this stage, we have no idea as to in which state he was born etc. only that he married  and died in Queensland. Yes the names of the brides parents were named on the marriage certificate.
I have researched the available online school records and he does not appear to have attended school in Queensland which could mean that he came to this state sometime as an adult. Either that or he isn't who he pretends he is.....Will continue to look further into it. Cheers!

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 July 16 01:52 BST (UK) »
Can you give all the information on the certificate please and we might be able to identify his origins.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 July 16 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I suggest that if the Queensland marriage was celebrated by a clergyman, that the clergyman recorded all the details in his own parish register.   The Qld certificate will note the name of the clergyman and the denomination and the location for the marriage.   Likely the names of the parents of the groom and the occupation of the groom's dad will be on that original register.   If the person providing information for the death registration had relied on the information held by the Qld BDM as per that marriage certificate, then that may well help to explain the deficiency in info on the death registration. 

NSW civil registration system was established 1856.  Queensland was hived off from NSW in 1859.  Probably the Qld BDM civil registration system copied the existing system.   

So, hopefully it will be a matter of determining where the clergyman's register is currently held.  Likely that will be with the diocese or state headquarters for the denomination of the clergyman.

Church records are not public records, so you may need to ask for access, and likely you may need to wait until a volunteer has looked up their record.   If you were to provide a copy of the Qld BDM marriage cert, there may be clues on it for the volunteer to use in their look up efforts.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 July 16 03:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone for your help which I very much appreciate. Unfortunately I don't have the marriage certificate in my possession at the moment but will ask to have it returned to me and then will get back to you all. Once again, thank you so much. Cheers!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 July 16 03:58 BST (UK) »
Can you please let us know the surnames of the bride and the groom and the year of the Queensland marriage.

JM

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 July 16 06:25 BST (UK) »
Charles Henry Wakefield and Mary Ann Amelia Cox. Marriage date: 21/11/1900