Author Topic: Adoption Records  (Read 6844 times)

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Records
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 July 16 09:25 BST (UK) »
Oops, sorry, make that "Who's surname would he have been given?"
Charles's and Mary's first born was given the names Harold Charles Wakefield. Because it was common in those days to name your offspring after family members, and because as far as I can ascertain there was no Harold on Mary's side of the family, It is possible that Harold may have been the name of Charles's father or brother etc. etc.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 17 July 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
"...According to documents my friend has in her possession"

I do not think you will be able to use a forum to advance your research until you are able to give us the information on these documents.

Can you fully transcribe, or scan an image of the marriage certificate.

Can you fully transcribe the birth certificates please.  (for children of Charles Henry WAKEFIELD that you know to be dead)

Can you please identify and date the document in which Charles Henry WAKEFIELD gives his birth date.

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 July 16 02:25 BST (UK) »
I'll see what I can do about getting the documents. However, I'm confident that we will get the answers we need from the records kept by the clergy man which were compulsory as mentioned by majm. Seeing as there were no adoption laws until the 1920's and that children were taken in by relatives, friends or placed in orphanages ect. makes me think that it may just be possible that he was reared in an orphanage and not adopted like my friend seems to think. It would explain why no-one knew who his parents were. On the other hand, he may not have been who he claims he was which over 100 years ago was easily done. As to why he kept his true identity a secret remains to be found out. He may have been running from something in his past or perhaps he did not want to be associated by a certain family member. I'll keep you posted.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 July 16 02:36 BST (UK) »
I'll see what I can do about getting the documents. However, I'm confident that we will get the answers we need from the records kept by the clergy man which were compulsory as mentioned by majm. Seeing as there were no adoption laws until the 1920's and that children were taken in by relatives, friends or placed in orphanages ect. makes me think that it may just be possible that he was reared in an orphanage and not adopted like my friend seems to think. It would explain why no-one knew who his parents were. On the other hand, he may not have been who he claims he was which over 100 years ago was easily done. As to why he kept his true identity a secret remains to be found out. He may have been running from something in his past or perhaps he did not want to be associated by a certain family member. I'll keep you posted.

Just because names of parents are not known to grandchildren does not mean the grandchildren did not know their grandparents.   It is of course possible in that era that the grandchildren may have referred to their grandparents as Grandma Wakefield and Grandpa Wakefield.    I have not read anything in this thread to date that actually gives me any reason to consider that Charles Henry Wakefield was an assumed identity, or that he was not aware of his parents' names.

There was an Orphanage in Rockhampton. 
https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/ref/qld/biogs/QE00188b.htm

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 July 16 06:11 BST (UK) »
Certainly my friends mother and none of her mother's siblings ever knew of Charles's parents or any siblings that he may have had.  As for Charles Henry Wakefield being an false identity. Perhaps I've seen and read too many detective movies and books  ;) but it would be wrong to rule it out entirely. He's definitely not adopted like my friend (his grand daughter) thought he might have been and so that is the only option that I am prepared to rule out...thus far.  I've been in contact with her and she is going to request the clergyman's records etc. Will keep you posted.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 July 16 06:17 BST (UK) »
I wonder what is his age and place of birth on his children's birth certificates?   
Cando

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 18 July 16 07:09 BST (UK) »
Cando: "According to documents my friend has in her possession it claims that Charles was born in Queensland on the 16/9/1875. I'm not sure what these documents are but will look further into it. Electoral roll perhaps?? On his children's birth certificates it also claims that he was Qld born and I am not 100% certain but I think she said that he claimed to have been born in Rockhampton. However a thorough research here hasn't turned up anything. His age on these certificates coincides with a birth in 1875."
After having spoken to my friend on the phone today I can confirm that on the birth certificates of his children his place of birth is Rockhampton and age is consistent with having been born 1875.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 July 16 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I agree with Wivenhoe, a birth certificate for one of the children should show the age and birth place for the father.  My GF was born in Qld in 1894 and after getting his BC I found out that my GGF had been born in Cape of Good Hope, his birth place was a brick-wall until then.  He had told fibs on his marriage certificate re his birth place (New York).

Gerry

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 July 16 09:08 BST (UK) »
G'day Aussie. If you read my previous post again you will see that I had written, " After having spoken to my friend on the phone today I can confirm that on the birth certificates of his children his place of birth is Rockhampton and age is consistent with having been born 1875."