Author Topic: Adoption Records  (Read 6845 times)

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Records
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 07:12 BST (UK) »
majm:   Thank you for re-posting my first initial post as well as the other one , the highlights , the bold and enlarged print.   ;) I am hoping this will confirm what I have been saying all along but apparently not getting through to some.
majm: "Each of us come to RootsChat either seeking advice or offering advice or as a combination of those.  The Opening Post included the words "Any kind of advice greatly appreciated".   On reading back through this thread I can see that we have given our OP all kinds of sensible advice, together with explanations, local knowledge, specific knowledge, links, and have endeavoured to help our OP help her friend.  Her friend's quest is basically to find the names of the parents of Mary Ann's husband. "  (This was followed by the re-posting mentioned above.)

Clearly, I did not at any time ask anyone to help me research the origins of CHW and neither was I expecting anyone to do so. I asked for and I repeat (for the last and final time I hope) ;D
""Does anyone know if adoption records for this era are now available to the public? Any kind of advice greatly appreciated."
How others came to assume that I was asking for advice on anything  other than adoption records I haven't as yet  been able to work out.   And if I have made a mistake at all, it is that I probably should have said "Any kind of advice  ON ADOPTION RECORDS greatly appreciated." However, I wasn't aware that I needed to spell it out, so clearly a small oversight on my part. I had expected to be given advice as  to where I might have been able to access adoption records. for instance, Ancestry and the like, archives, other websites etc. etc. Hopefully we can now put that issue to bed.

Post #12 mygirlbill " ........ my friend seems to think that he was adopted and Wakefield was his adopted name. That being my reason for inquiring about adoption records. Any other suggestions gratefully received.  :-\"
In this instance I am clearly  asking for suggestions other than adoption and again  NOT for help in finding CHW.

Just getting back to posts 47 and 48 which I wasn't able to give too much time to earlier on this morning before heading out starting with an earlier post.
Post #21 majm "................... it could be that the longhand writing was in a scribble and the surname has been 'mis-read' or it could be that the birth was registered in another surname or the given names were reversed, or that Charles was raised as Charles, but registered under a different name.   There are many explanations."

In my post #44 which was in reply to Sparrett's post #42 " G'day Sue. Charles Henry Wakefield claimed to have been born in 1875 in Rockhampton. The Claremont Wakefields also had a son (John) born in 1875 albeit that he was born in Claremont and an exact date at this point in time is unknown. If they are one and the same, then it would mean that Charles Henry had taken on a false identity which as I have mentioned earlier, I will not rule out entirely until proven otherwise. However, at this point in time, I doubt very much that they are one and the same. I wonder if on marriage and death certificates of these Claremont born Wakefields the names of their parents were given?????"
Reply by Sparrat #46 "I am not in any way suggesting, by any means whatever, that John WAKEFIELD and Charles Henry  WAKEFIELD are the same person and I do not know where you got the idea :P"  Followed further down by,
"If your friend wants more guidance and support, he/she will need to reflect on the answers given in the thread with an open mind."
First I want to refer back  to post #10 mygirlbill " Charles Henry Wakefield is not an ancestor of mine. He's an ancestor of a friend of mine who is not on the computer and so I've offered to help her ....
You must have overlooked this post it perhaps????? I might  add to that that she is elderly and not computer literate.
My reply #48 " Not at all accusing you of suggesting that John Wakefield and CHW are one and the same. I was merely stating I knew of their son John who was born in 1875 also and speculated  that "if they are one and the same....." Can you tell me how you came to that conclusion?"
This brings us once again back to post #21. ".................. it could be that the longhand writing was in a scribble and the surname has been 'mis-read' or it could be that the birth was registered in another surname or the given names were reversed, or that Charles was raised as Charles, but registered under a different name.  " There are many explanations."
Can I assume that this post was overlooked as well?
I think this proves  that I at least reflect on the answers given in the thread with an open mind.

In reply to post #50. Sorry majm, I was not aware that I could access the exact dates of birth. As I have already told you, I'm not very knowledgeable regarding English and Australian genealogy.
Also, yes I am aware that not all school records are on line however, seeing as he claims to have been born in Rockhampton, I decided to see if I could find an attendance for him there but as I've mentioned earlier, I wasn't able to find one.
Aussie1947. Yes, we are aware of the electoral rolls info. But unfortunately, it doesn't answer as to whether he was adopted or not.  ???
Once again many thanks for your help and support and thanks also to the other volunteers however  I do think that we have exhausted this thread now. Thank you.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 07:19 BST (UK) »
I think our postings must have been sent at the same moment.

My last reply on the previous page and numbered #53, was an attempt to widen the possibilities for future searching your friend might undertake, in the absence of adoption records, if he/she is looking for the parents of CHW.

ADDING
I see now you are not looking for assistance in locating the parents of Charles, after all, because you are handling that search yourself.

Assistance was merely asked for in locating adoption documents that give his parents and adoptive parents if they exist.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 07:23 BST (UK) »

There was a John Wakefield 8 years 6 moths on the Emu Park State School 27th July 1885, father was a plumber (probably Jabez Wakefield).

Gerry

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 07:29 BST (UK) »

There was a John Wakefield 8 years 6 moths on the Emu Park State School 27th July 1885, father was a plumber (probably Jabez Wakefield).

Gerry

The orphanage records say John WAKEFIELD, son of Henry and Mary Ann (MURPHY) was in the care of the HOMER's at Banana at that time.  So a different boy perhaps. The John WAKEFIELD of the orphanage ended up living in Bundaberg.
Sue

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 07:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info Sue, not the same John.  There was a Jabez Wakefield in Rockhampton from the 1870s, he was a plumber and at one stage the Mayor of Rockhampton and I think the father of a John Wakefield and maybe Thomas William Wakefield but probably no relationship to Charles Henry Wakefield.

Gerry 

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 08:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, there were a lot of Wakefields in the area it seems.
Impossible to sort them out without a lot of certificates and even then, would it find the parents of Charles..... ??? :-\

ADDING
Not for us to worry about, anyway at this stage, as our OP has all the information required.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree Sue, Not for us to worry about anymore.   I apologise to RChat for asking the following question at #7 and for striving to help with "Any kind of advice" when the OP provided the answer at #8, less than 2 1/2 hrs later, with greater details, including given names, exact date.   
Can you please let us know the surnames of the bride and the groom and the year of the Queensland marriage.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 21 July 16 06:55 BST (UK) »
majm. This will definitely be my last post on this thread for obvious reasons.

majm#60 "Yes, I agree Sue, Not for us to worry about anymore.   I apologise to RChat for asking the following question at #7 and for striving to help with "Any kind of advice" when the OP provided the answer at #8, less than 2 1/2 hrs later, with greater details, including given names, exact date.   
Quote from: majm on Thursday 14 July 16 03:58 BST (UK)
"Can you please let us know the surnames of the bride and the groom and the year of the Queensland marriage. JM"

Ok, let's do this one more time as clearly nothing is sinking in..still.
After my first initial post, I had no problems whatsoever answering  every-ones questions as best I could. I also send you a PM (remember?) In fact, I had no problem at all taking it beyond seeking adoption records as all my posts will verify. The fact that this has gone completely unnoticed by you is simply  mind boggling but clearly it has or else you would not have posted #60.

#28 wivenhoe. "I do not think you will be able to use a forum to advance your research until you are able to give us the information on these documents."
Who is she to dictate as to who is allowed or not allowed to use this forum?  In my opinion, she was way out of line. To keep the peace, I chose to ignore it.

#36wivenhoe " It is very inefficient if you are functioning as the intermediary, relaying questions and answers between your friend and this forum. You need to have a copy of all the documents relating to your enquiry."

It wasn't until #38 (yes a whole 30 posts after #7 the one mentioned above) that I needed to point out that I originally asked about adoption records (something which I have needed to repeat numerous times since) and didn't realize I would need documents to do so. I find it totally frustrating that you either overlooked or ignored all this. 30 posts!!! Sorry, I don't buy it.

#54mygirlbill ...Once again many thanks for your help and support and thanks also to the other volunteers however  I do think that we have exhausted this thread now. Thank you. "

In my opinion you should have left it at that as #60 was uncalled for and made you, not me, look incompetent. So for the last and  final time. Drop it,  move on and thank you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 21 July 16 07:08 BST (UK) »
May I mention that if you wish to mark the thread as completed that you click on the link that reads "topic completed".

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.