Author Topic: Adoption Records  (Read 6829 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Records
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:53 BST (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article69764586
SILVER WEDDING
WAKEFIELD—COX     Charles Henry Wakefield and Mary Ann Amelia Cox, on the 21st November, 1900, at St. Barnabas' Church, North Rockhampton.

Funeral notice
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56952599

No parents noted on the death index either.

I wonder what is his age and place of birth on his children's birth certificates?

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 July 16 06:17 BST (UK) »
Charles Henry Wakefield is not an ancestor of mine. He's an ancestor of a friend of mine who is not on the computer and so I've offered to help her as she firmly believes Charles was adopted. We have a birth date which I believe came from the marriage certificate, 16/9/1875 but place of birth or names of his parents not mentioned. Thank you Cando and cheers!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 July 16 07:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder what is his age and place of birth on his children's birth certificates?

This is actually a suggestion for further research to help find his place of birth.

Full dates of birth are not usually on a marriage cert.  Just age in years at time of marriage.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 July 16 07:55 BST (UK) »
The 16/9/1875 was the date he gave on one of the documents in my friends possession. Also that he was born in Queensland. I thought it might have been on his marriage certificate but obviously not. However, a birth for a Charles Henry Wakefield in Queensland was not found and because of that, my friend seems to think that he was adopted and Wakefield was his adopted name. That being my reason for inquiring about adoption records. Any other suggestions gratefully received.  :-\

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 July 16 15:53 BST (UK) »
He might be related to these two  ???

http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Image/DigitalImageDetails.aspx?ImageId=9918

http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Image/DigitalImageDetails.aspx?ImageId=10232

I think they are the children of Henry WAKEFIELD and Mary Ann MURPHY, but I can't see a registration for Elizabeth.  I also can't see a death for the mother.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 July 16 01:04 BST (UK) »
May I suggest that the failure of a clergyman to record the names of the parents of the groom on the civil registration of a Queensland marriage simply does not mean that the groom was adopted or fostered or raised by anyone other than his birth mother and/or father.   Surely the lack of information just points to an administrative oversight.     

May I suggest that as we now have additional information, that it is followed up by making contact with the Church authorities.  If you were to provide photocopy of the Qld BDM civil registration of the marriage and ask for a look up of the private records of the Church, particularly for details of the groom, his then age, his place of birth, his then occupation, his then usual address, his father's name, occupation and if noted as deceased, and his (the groom's) mother's name, former names, and if noted as deceased, it is very likely that Church volunteers will strive to help you.    You may need to be patient, as quite often there's less and less volunteers offering to help and more and more family history enquiries pushing for answers. 

The 16/9/1875 was the date he gave on one of the documents in my friends possession. Also that he was born in Queensland. I thought it might have been on his marriage certificate but obviously not. However, a birth for a Charles Henry Wakefield in Queensland was not found and because of that, my friend seems to think that he was adopted and Wakefield was his adopted name. That being my reason for inquiring about adoption records. Any other suggestions gratefully received.  :-\
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article69764586
SILVER WEDDING
WAKEFIELD—COX     Charles Henry Wakefield and Mary Ann Amelia Cox, on the 21st November, 1900, at St. Barnabas' Church, North Rockhampton.

Funeral notice
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56952599

No parents noted on the death index either.

Cando

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 July 16 01:13 BST (UK) »
In 2005 the churches of St Barnabas' (North Rockhampton), St John's (Koongal), and St Matthew's (Park Avenue) were closed, and a new Parish was formed using St David's Church in Frenchville as the main worship centre.

http://www.allsaintsrocky.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=4

http://www.allsaintsrocky.org.au/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=2

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 July 16 01:25 BST (UK) »
Cando: Yes he could be related to Henry and Mary Ann Wakefield but I doubt it. Unless he was born in another state, there is no birth record for a Charles Henry Wakefield in Queensland. Also, I checked the school records and he did not attend school in Rockhampton which would have been the norm if he was living here as a child. This may then suggest that he was born interstate or  if born in Queensland, adopted by a Wakefield, or God forbid, he had taken on a false identity for whatever reason known only to himself.
Majm: I will pass your information on to my friend and hopefully she'll get some answers through the church inquiries.
Thank you both for your help. Much appreciated.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 July 16 01:42 BST (UK) »
Searching on first name CHARLES with given DOB, in Qld BDM, gives just one result:

1875  C4499 (country birth) Dominico Charles, parents  James FORNO and Elizabeth Carl.

Does that surname ring any bells with your friend?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)