Author Topic: McLeod - Waikumete Cemetery Headstone Lookup  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Georgia Mitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur C. Kennett.
    • View Profile
Re: McLeod - Waikumete Cemetery Headstone Lookup
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 July 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you very much! :-)  Yes, he is definitely my great-great grandfather.
McLeod, Mitchell, McCormick, Dunn, Steele.

For a friend: Armstrong, Turner, Cooper, White (New Zealand and Victoria, Australia)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 July 16 22:47 BST (UK) »
As an aside......

His name is very Scottish sounding & possible his parents arrived 1851 during the clearances in the Highlands of Scotland  ???

Do you have his parents on census records with any Scottish connection?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Georgia Mitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur C. Kennett.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 July 16 22:53 BST (UK) »
'Tis indeed a verra Scottish name. He was born in 1853 in Nova Scotia, though. His parents are Kenneth McLeod and Ann McDonald, taken from his marriage certificate. I don't know any details about them as of yet. Perhaps they did leave the highlands during the clearances.

I recall looking awhile ago at a ships roll with a Kenneth McLeod in Whangarei, and I think there was a young Angus mentioned on it. Don't quote me, though!

I do have his death certificate, which mentions that he was born in Canada, but I can't find it at present, and BDM won't re-issue it to me via email. :( I will have a hunt through my records again for it this weekend.

For a friend: Armstrong, Turner, Cooper, White (New Zealand and Victoria, Australia)

Offline Georgia Mitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur C. Kennett.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
I've just met my Dad's cousin for the first time this week, and he told me he knew about Angus running off from his family. Apparently one of Angus' grand-daughters has written a wee booklet about her memories, and Angus features in that. So, I am waiting to get a copy and have a look through it. :-)