Author Topic: James Renwick, 4th great grandfather  (Read 2907 times)

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Renwick, 4th great grandfather
« on: Thursday 14 July 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
On the OPR of the baptism of a son, my 4th great grandfather is cited as James Renwick in Middleburn.  This document is from the year 1790.  Can someone tell me anything about "Middleburn"?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Renwick, 4th great grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 16 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi pelirroja

I looked at one of your old posts for background as there are two 1790 births in Roxburgh. I think yours is George in Hobkirk, father James https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1S-DNR

I can't see Middleburn in Hobkirk, but there seems to be a Midburn - www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/place-names/Hobkirk?class=parish&county=Roxburghshire

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
I would think it was likely a farm. Number of farm references to it (Midburn that is). This gives an idea on location of Midburn if it turns out to the one - https://canmore.org.uk/site/304461/midburn

What was James Renwick's occupation?

Monica

PS: www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4772797 and also http://gb.geoview.info/midburn,1444693830n

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 16 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Monica, for your reply, facts and photos.  It makes sense that Middleburn might be Midburn and a farm name.  Many of my Renwick relatives were agricultural laborers on farms.  Also a number of them were mole catchers, including my grandfather and great grandfather, who were from Denholm.
As to James Renwick of Middleburn, the father of George (your guess was correct), nothing else is known other than his wife's name, Jane Anderson.  I've spent both time and money trying to learn more.  I'm amazed at what is available on the Internet and thank you for the links you've found.
Beverly

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 16 01:24 BST (UK) »
Monica,
Another thought occurred to me about Midburn.  In order to access more information about the location of Midburn on ScotlandsPlaces, I would need to pay for a month's subscription.  In your opinion, would you recommend that I try it or not?  Just wondering.
Beverly   

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Beverly

I am sorry, I missed your post. Only seen it now.

I don't have really much experience in searching Scotlands Places. In its early stages, a lot of it was free to view. It has grown enormously now and it is often the case that this is when they can start to charge.

There is this on the site www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/roxburghshire-os-name-books-1858-1860/roxburghshire-volume-08?transcription=1

A number of their databases are free to search too (you have to dig around and look around for this) www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/resources

What is it you are looking for in particular re Midburn? You could follow up with the FHS www.bordersfhs.org.uk  They have a forum there where the knowledge of the area will be pretty concentrated. I saw this on their forum pages for example http://bordersfhs.org.uk/Forum/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=17 (a snippet google book link www.rootschat.com/links/01i15/ for this book).

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
A further snippet only from google books (link shrunk) www.rootschat.com/links/01i14/

Monica

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
I've spent the last several hours pouring over the links you provided and am amazed at the amount of information available.  What I'm looking for are the birth/death records of my 4th great-grandfather James Renwick in Midburn / Middleburn and his wife, Jane/Jean Anderson and perhaps back further to their parents, my 5th great-grandparents.   I can document the records from my grandfather James Renwick (1890-1976) back to my 4th great-grandparents but know very little about them.  My only clue is Middleburn so I've tried to follow that.

On Ancestry I did find a James Renwick, baptized on Oct 28, 1764 (date works) in Castleton, Roxburgh, whose father was William Renwick (first name fits the Scottish naming pattern) and mother was Janet Glendinning.

I have a question but don't know if you can answer it.  Hobkirk Place names are both a Mid Burn and a Midburn, in the same Vol 16.  Are they two separate places?  Also, what does the term "burn" mean in Scotland?

Well, that's where I'm at, and I'm thinking that the records just don't exist anymore.  No problems not seeing my newest post, as I've done the same thing.  Thank you for your help again,
Beverly

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
A burn in Scotland (and England too) is another word for a stream or brook. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_(landform)

Midburn and Mid burn, I would think are the same but I am not 100% on this without double checking other sources that may be available. Is there a specific description against each entry (Midburn and Mid burn) that you have seen? This can help determine if they are in slightly different locations, maybe even within the same area.

If there is no birth or death entry to be found in the OPRs, might be worth you investigating whether there may be a memorial inscription for them in the local graveyards? Some links such as here www.selkirkshireantiquariansociety.co.uk

Monica