Author Topic: James Allan  (Read 7891 times)

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Allan
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 July 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

I may have mislead you regarding the birth certificate. If so, my apologies.
In the square "Name, Surname & Rank or Profession of Father. Name and Maiden name of Mother. Date and place of marriage.", it is filled in as follows. "Nellie Allan. Hawker. (In brackets, what looks like) Dewieis:- 5 Bell Street, Airdrie." 5 Bell Street, Airdrie is clear to read, but the name is difficult to read.
In the square "When and Where Registered and Signature of Registrar." It is filled in as follows. "July 29th 1916. Linlithgow. George S. Adams Ass. Registrar."
The certificate is also headed "1916 Births in the district of Linlithgow in the County of Linlithgow."

It states on the certificate that my Father was born at the Show Park, Bo'ness Road, Linlithgow. A lady at the West Lothian History Library has been helping me with a query surrounding this. A family myth/story/belief was that my Father was born at the Palace Grounds in Linlithgow. My Grandmother giving birth to him whilst at an event there. They were Hawkers and I guess they would have attended fairs to sell their goods. She could not find any trace of a Show Park in Linlithgow, or of a "fair" taking place in the town at the time of my Father's birth. She did find however, in the Linlithgowshire Gazette of 14th July 1916 (The date of my Father's birth), an advertisement for the Bo'ness Mid-Summer Fair, at Corbiehall Show Ground which was in full swing and would continue for a further two weeks. At the foot of the advertisement it said not to forget to visit the Show Ground. If two weeks brought us to 28th July, then the date of 29th July, as mentioned above, might  be relevant.
My Grandmother could not write. She signed the birth certificate with an "X". Was my Father actually born at The Show Ground, Linlithgow Road, Bo'ness? Bo'ness is about four miles from Linlithgow and I believe was in Linlithgowshire. This is new information to me and I am looking in to it.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 July 16 12:23 BST (UK) »
Any comments on the other previous posts.... ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 July 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
You can view birth certs online on Scotlands People up to 100yrs old. Beyond this date, certs for births need to be ordered or viewed in person at one of the main Scottish genealogy centres. Currently, the cut off for births is 1915. Thinking here of Annette's comments that there are two births showing, as mentioned in 1916.

However, sounds that you have the Linlithgow one as you mention details from it? That is the birth in Linlithgow on 14th July 1916 to mother Ellen Allan. Is that correct?

Guess father's name was left blank on your father's marriage cert?

Monica
Hi Monica

Thank you for your help.

The birth certificate I have refers to my Fathers' birth in Linlithgow (14.07.16), with Ellen (Nellie) Allan as his Mother.
I have never seen my parents Marriage certificate, but I think I know who has it. I will check it out.

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 July 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
Any comments on the other previous posts.... ::)

Monica

Hi Monica

Thank you for your help and information. Really appreciated. I am waiting on a little bit of information and will get back to you asap. Thank you.

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 July 16 14:10 BST (UK) »
You can view birth certs online on Scotlands People up to 100yrs old. Beyond this date, certs for births need to be ordered or viewed in person at one of the main Scottish genealogy centres. Currently, the cut off for births is 1915. Thinking here of Annette's comments that there are two births showing, as mentioned in 1916.

However, sounds that you have the Linlithgow one as you mention details from it? That is the birth in Linlithgow on 14th July 1916 to mother Ellen Allan. Is that correct?

Guess father's name was left blank on your father's marriage cert?

Monica

Hi Monica

My Father put Peter Allan as his Father on the Marriage certificate. Ellen Allan married Peter McEwan, who brought him up as his Son. I guess at 22 years of age and the times he was living in, he felt more comfortable stating Peter (As in Peter McEwan) and Allan (His own surname) as his Father's name. I know he was never comfortable being born out of wedlock.

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 July 16 14:39 BST (UK) »
Have you viewed the cert for Peter McEwan and Nellie Allan in Portsoy in 1919? This would give you detail on Peter's parents if you wanted to trace his origins (you might have this already).

Have you got details for Nellie? When she was born and mother's details?

Is it her death in March 1969, born c. 1889? And Peter, his death in June 1976 and birth given as 10 Feb 1884.

There is no death showing for a James Allan in Denny Stirlingshire between 1900-1960. Nellie's father James must have died elsewhere assuming surname registered under was Allan.

Monica  :)

Hi Monica

I have asked my family about Peter McEwan and Ellen Allan. Peter was born on 10th February 1884 and died (Although I am having this confirmed today, as it was just a guess) 15th May 1976.

My family think Ellen (Nellie) died 1970/72. Again, I should have this confirmed later today.

I am now at a loss regarding my Grandfather's death. I see no reason why he was not called/registered as James Allan.

Thank you.

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 July 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
Do you have access to Ancestry? There is a family tree for Nellie's family which are James Allan and Jane McCulloch. James and Jane didn't marry until 1915. Their marriage cert/image is included for record on that family tree as is Jane McCulloch/Allan's death cert in Airdrie in 1925. She looks to have been born on 19 JUN 1877 in Alnwick. http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/13913874/person/499326989/facts

James McLean Allan looks to also be a Northumberland man, born there c. 1867. The censuses on the family tree show him with a wife and children, living in Morpeth in 1901.

Likely will be a tricky search on censuses to find Nellie and mother Jane from her birth.

Monica

Hi Monica

This is all new information to me. I did not know about Jane McCulloch. Interestingly, all roads seem to return to Alnwick!

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 July 16 14:45 BST (UK) »
I have to sleep now (zzzzzz..... ;)) but I can fill in a little more on Peter McEwan if someone else doesn't manage to. For now, he was born in Aberdeen c. 1884 and can be found on the 1891 and 1901 censuses with family.

Monica  :)

Thanks Monica.

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 July 16 14:48 BST (UK) »
If it is of interest to you EADG I know Portsoy quite well.

I will be going there on holiday at the end of this month and could take a look at 22 Square and perhaps even a photo (although I am not all that good with a camera).

Please let me know.

Great research as usual from others  ;D ;D

Hi Dorrie

As you say, great research by so many kind people. I would love to know about 22 Square and if possible a photo would be great. Thank you very much.

Dorrie