Author Topic: Samuel NORWICH b. Kettering mid-1760s?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Tom Tramp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel NORWICH b. Kettering mid-1760s?
« on: Friday 15 July 16 13:47 BST (UK) »
There is an interesting text from 1887 entitled, "The Fall of the Great House of Norwich" (http://www.bigenealogy.com/familychests/house-of-norwich.htm), which tells the riches to rags story of the NORWICH family of Brampton Ash.

I've supposed that an ancestor of mine, called Charlotte NORWICH (b. about 1840) may be descended from these fallen NORWICHes. Has anybody got any ideas on how the family developed from Samuel NORWICH, who was apparently born in Kettering, probably the first son of John NORWICH and Ruth BULLOCK, m. April 1764?

Thanks for your possible response.
BENNETT in Aspley Guise/Dunstable, Beds or East End of London; NORTH in Leeds, W. Yorks or Leics or MASS, USA; NORWICH in Leics; PAYNE in Braybrooke, Nothants; PEGG in Leics

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel NORWICH b. Kettering mid-1760s?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom Tramp,

Samuel was Baptised 18 May 1771 age 5 to John/Ruth
From the 1764 Marriage John was a Baker
Samuel was Buried 14 Sep 1818 age 52 (1766)

I cant find a Charlotte Norwich born c 1840 Northamptonshire?

When/where was she born? and Married? and to whom?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tom Tramp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 16 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish for your reply.

Yes, I think this is the fellow, and I still wonder about his various marriages and offspring.

In the picture might be marriages to:
•   Anne LANGHAM, 13 November 1788 at St Martin’s, Leicester
•   Sarah?
•   Elizabeth MEASURES, 13 October 1800 at St Margaret’s, Leicester
•   Mary BIGGS, 5 September 1814 at Kettering

I can see link to a possible Charlotte that comes through a John NORWICH who could have been Samuel's son by one of the first three. This Charlotte was christened 14.03 1834 at Leicester St Margaret and it looks as though she was in Kettering Union workhouse in 1841. The touble is that in all the later census records that my ancestor appears in, she claimed an age based on birth in about 1842. My ancestor married first Thomas MOORE and later Charles NORTH and seems to have lived her life variously in Leicester and Leeds.

Did you look at the article? I thought that the Mary HOLLIDGE who is quoted there seemed to be saying many things that are supported by today's records, but that her 1856 interviewer might have confused some of her remarks. Incidentally the Mary HOLLIDGE was probably Mary BIGGS at the time of her marriage to Samuel. She married Elija (I think) HOLLIDGE later in life.

BENNETT in Aspley Guise/Dunstable, Beds or East End of London; NORTH in Leeds, W. Yorks or Leics or MASS, USA; NORWICH in Leics; PAYNE in Braybrooke, Nothants; PEGG in Leics

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 16 15:05 BST (UK) »
1841 Census has these Children in the Kettering Workhouse;
Charles Norwick, 15
Samuel Norwick, 10
Charlotte Norwick, 7
Samuel/Charlotte NOT**** born in County

Burial;
Name: Charlotte Norwich
Birth Year:   abt 1834
Burial Date: 17 Feb 1845
Burial Place: Kettering, St Peter and St Paul, Northamptonshire, England
(Anc.)

CHARLOTTE Norwich Baptised 14 Mar 1834
St Margaret, Leicester, Leicester, England
Father: JOHN Norwich
Mother: CHARLOTTE
(Anc.)

1851 Samuel NORWICK is born c 1830 Leicestershire

1861 he is Married to Phoebe and with Brother JOHN born c 1820 Kettering, Northamptonshire 

JOHN was Baptised 9 Sep 1817 Kettering to JOHN/CHARLOTTE
(FreeREG has Father Johns Occp as a Sawyer)

MARY Norwich, Baptised Kettering 17 Jan 1821, Father a Labourer
(FreeREG)

CHARLES Norwich was imprisoned 1843 age 17 and in 1842

You would need John/Charlottes Marriage, their Burials, hopefully with ages, to try and trace John back to link his Parents/Grandparents etc.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry Tom our posts crossed.

I will look over this again tomorrow as I am off to bed (its late here in OZ!)

F/S has a JOHN Norwich christening:8 March 1795. Loughborough, Leics
2 Records, Parents SAMUEL/ANNE or SAMUEL/ELIZTH
Both have same Birth Date 22 Feb 1798

Do you have Charlottes 2 Marriage Certs?

Back tomorrow,

Offline Tom Tramp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 July 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish, and thanks again for your help with this.

So the 7-year old Charlotte at the workhouse in 1941 died a few years later and sadly did not grow up to become anybody’s  great great grandmother.  I’ll need to look elsewhere, and as you suggest, it would be good to get a marriage certificate which could give the name of her father. I’ve never found Charlotte’s marriage to Charles NORTH, but the Thomas MOORE marriage at Leicester in Q4 1860 is established, so will look into getting that one.

Concerning the John, baptised 9 Sep 1817 Kettering, in the 1851 census, he is living at Leicester and has a daughter, “Schazire NORWICK”, born about 1841.  This would be the niece of the above Charlotte. I’ve never come across a name like Schazire before, so perhaps her name really was Charlotte too. In 1861 there is no sign of any Schazires but Charlotte MORE is living at London Road, Oadby. She is the 20-year-old wife of an agricultural labourer, with a 1-month old baby, John, but her husband is not at home.

What you discovered with parallel records for 1795 John’s christening showing different mothers is typical for these NORWICHes. There is also some confusion between records for All Saints, Loughborough and All Saints, Leicester, suggesting a possible transcription error in some of the web sources.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 July 16 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom.
Just a quick look at this now and will see if I can find anything later.

Yes I found the 1860 Marriage and I suggest getting that Cert is a must.

Others on here with access to Leics records that are not on-line may be able to help (hint!)

I will be back later today,