Author Topic: Adoptions in 1954  (Read 2697 times)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Adoptions in 1954
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 July 16 12:58 BST (UK) »
It certainly is a scenario to consider - I was just emphasising that there is no option for an unmarried mother to name a father on a birth registration, it isn't a matter of choice that she has.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 July 16 14:32 BST (UK) »
There are instances where the mum may not have known which chap was the father of her baby and would therefore not be able to name anyone.

Whether an unmarried mother knows who the father is is not really relevant when it comes to birth registration - if she isn't married to him, he doesn't get shown on the birth register unless he is there with her to sign as co-informant.

I have seen quite a number of cases where no father is named on the birth certificate of an adopted child, but the actual adoption papers give all his details.

I have an instance in the 1960's in Wales where the mother obviously didn't know who the father was and therefore he wasn't named anywhere! Not on the baptism,birth cert or adoption papers.
I'm just pointing out that it is another scenario that you have to be prepared to encounter.
Hi ,'how on earth do you come to that assumption because she did not name the father?
To me it's not  one bit obvious!
Perhaps the mother did not want the father named - not because she didn't know who he is, perhaps because she did not want him  making decisions, ( there are a multitude of reasons!). You are assuming she did not know the father just because she did not name him .
Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 July 16 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi ,'how on earth do you come to that assumption because she did not name the father?
To me it's not  one bit obvious!
Perhaps the mother did not want the father named - not because she didn't know who he is, perhaps because she did not want him  making decisions, ( there are a multitude of reasons!). You are assuming she did not know the father just because she did not name him .
Kind regards

Because she asked her mum on numerous occasions and the stock answer was " I don't know"
When mum died ,she asked auntie,who with mum had brought my young friend up,and she said that mum had numerous boyfriends at the time and she wouldn't be at all surprised if she had no idea who my young friend's dad was.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 July 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
If someone was adopted in 1954 (Slough) and the birth certificate does not show the father's name, is there any other route to go to try and find him please?
TIA.

If your person of interest is still alive and interested in their history, then encouage them to access their adoption file

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/accessing-your-birth-records

if your person of interest has died, their descendants will have the opportunity to apply for information through intermediary services

http://www.dap.btck.co.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
If the records don't provide any answers, autosomal DNA testing is another option.

Offline auntie bertie

• RootsChat Member
  • Giles the Bakers, Cheap St, Newbury, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 September 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
Whether an unmarried mother knows who the father is is not really relevant when it comes to birth registration - if she isn't married to him, he doesn't get shown on the birth register unless he is there with her to sign as co-informant.

I have seen quite a number of cases where no father is named on the birth certificate of an adopted child, but the actual adoption papers give all his details.
Many thanks for all your comments.
We believe we have tracked down the birth mother - remarkably she is still alive and well, living with her husband.  We have also found an uncle, and half-siblings from the marriage.  A ready made family!
It really is in the hands of the 1954 'baby' as to whether she wants to progress making contact with her.  After all this time it may be an unwelcome reminder.
Beeson from Buckinghamshire
Freer from Leicestershire
Giles from Berkshire
Green from Birmingham
Gurney from Leicestershire
Heffer from Surrey
Randall from Sussex
Robinson from Hinckley
Wadey from Sussex

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 September 16 15:51 BST (UK) »
In which case, have you thought about using an intermediary service?

This is one of many and I have no affiliation to it

http://www.adoptionservicesforadults.org.uk/

and guidance from the Govt website

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/intermediary-agencies
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 15:00 BST (UK) »
At that time a single mother was not allowed to register the father's name . The only exception was if they were to marry after the childs registration.