Author Topic: Northern Ireland Birth Certificates  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Northern Ireland Birth Certificates
« on: Friday 15 July 16 18:35 BST (UK) »
I have never needed any certificates from Northern Ireland before - but I am trying to help a friend with her Belfast ancestry.

Looking at the Groni website I am told that to order a birth certificate the parents names, including the mother's maiden name are needed -- the info on the Groni site states;

"Birth certificates are available from 1864 to present. You can order a birth certificate online from the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI). You will need a credit or debit card to use this service.
Before you start

You can order a birth or a commemorative birth certificate online. You will need a credit or debit card and the following information:

full name of person whose birth certificate is required
    date and place of birth (district or street and town)
    names of parents (including mother's maiden name)
    mother's address at time of birth

The General Register Office cannot issue a certificate if you have not given the full details needed when you order."

Surely this cannot be necessary -- the historical birth certificate is being requested to find out the names of the parents. Am I misunderstanding something please?
Any help would be really appreciated.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Ireland Birth Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 16 18:49 BST (UK) »
If it's a birth over 100 years old then you just need to register, purchase a few credits, look up the item in the index then view the certificate online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your very prompt reply Aghadowey -- unfortunately the birth is not 100 years ago. It's 1919 in Belfast. We have the details from the Civil Reg Index --but don't know the parents names.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
I have just realised the quote about ordering certificates was from the Proni website.

Having looked at Groni (it would be better if I knew my alphabet!) -- I suppose we could try leaving parents names blank and insert the details from the Civil Reg Index in the box entitled 'Additional information to support your application'.

We'll try that anyway.

Thank you.
Places of interest;

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 16 19:20 BST (UK) »
If it's less than 100 years old then it's not an historical birth certificate. Do you have the registration district and mother's maiden name? if so, have you tried to use the form with the details you have and including a note in the message box that this is all the information you have?

Offline Lismurn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Go to https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk, create an account and enter the surname you are looking for. If you have a general year to work with very good, otherwise you will have to work in four year blocks. I have obtained information around 1870, also death records in the 1940s.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Go to https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk, create an account and enter the surname you are looking for. If you have a general year to work with very good, otherwise you will have to work in four year blocks. I have obtained information around 1870, also death records in the 1940s.
Births less than 100 years old cannot be viewed online- the date restrictions for marriages in 75 years and deaths 50 years. Both the records you mention are available online but Pennines was looking for a birth less than 100 years old.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Lismurn -- thank you for replying to my query.

As Aghadowey has said, the time restrictions which apply to on line views prevented access to the certificates in question. However as an update - the friend I was helping visited Belfast and went along to Proni. He received some amazing assistance from the helpful staff there and was able to progress his research.

Thank you again.
Places of interest;

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
However as an update - the friend I was helping visited Belfast and went along to Proni. He received some amazing assistance from the helpful staff there and was able to progress his research.
Thank you again.

Glad to hear some progress was made in the search :)