Author Topic: John Green and John Adams of Selby & Others  (Read 3355 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: John Green and John Adams of Selby & Others
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 May 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
Tried looking last night for a possible Newby connection.

I was more interested in a marriage in London of a William Berridge & Elizabeth Hood.

This led me to this

http://www.androcles.co.uk/cb/berridge_2008/FH01/FH01_001.HTM

But hit a brick wall with George Berridge's grandfather another Jonathon Berridge - cannot find anything on him at all.

Thank you very much Claire

Are you saying John Green of Selby, Carpenter making the 1841 Assignment (starting this thread) to Messrs. William Liversidge and John Adams, junr., of Selby, and George Berridge and John Newby, of Pollington, is linked to another Berridge, who married a Hood?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 May 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to link George Berridge to these Berridge's on the website - with a possibility that this Leicester based Hood family maybe related to your George Hood.

I thought Mary Green ( daughter of John the Wheelwright ) and wife of Jonathon Berridge may have a brother John Green - who could be the carpenter in Wren Lane - there are a lot of Greens in the Snaith registers.

Hope I'm not confusing everyone - I know what I mean   :-\

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 May 17 12:14 BST (UK) »

Jane Newby from Snaith - her baptism says she was from Pollington - this John Newby could be a brother.

It needs more checking out.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 May 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Re William Berridge and Elizabeth Hood, there were Hoods at Ashby de la Zouch, etc.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 May 17 12:54 BST (UK) »
Most of these people in your first posting and from info found are related

John Newby married Ann GREEN ( census says she was born Selby) at Snaith 14 September 1834
Both signed register
Witnesses: John Scorah and Mary MOSBY.

Came across that Scorah name before in relation to these families - can't remember where  :-\

John Newby of Baln Croft baptised Snaith 1809 son of Nathan.

Jane Newby Bapt. 1772 Snaith daughter of Nathan.
She also has a brother Nathan - whom I should think is the father of the above John.

Father Nathan Newby of Snaith married Ann Holmes by licence 1760 in Fishlake.

Trying to find a familial link with these Newby's and those of Chester Newby etc.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 May 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Claire

Interesting to see the links you have found and Newby.

There has been a reply from a Fothergill relative, to a thread I started Aug 2016, interesting, but nothing more about the Hood side yet. ...
Yorkshire - North Riding
Thread title: "Was Grace Fothergill wife of Wm Hood Kirkbridge related to Fothergill of Selby?"

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 December 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »

John Newby married Ann GREEN ( census says she was born Selby) at Snaith 14 September 1834
Both signed register

Came across that Scorah name before in relation to these families - can't remember where  :-\

She also has a brother Nathan - whom I should think is the father of the above John.

Trying to find a familial link with these Newby's and those of Chester Newby etc.

Just seen Jno Schorah (out of alphabetical sequence by surname, under Occupier) near Golton, Gibson & Garbutt in the Selby Land Tax (1803).

Thought this was interesting.

David Swann & William Hood witnesses, to the George Newby, Marriage at Snaith in 1802 (both of the couple were from Baln).

Got several other collections and items to see, so watch this space.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 June 19 12:37 BST (UK) »

Both signed register

Hello

Thank you Claire.

There is a link (albeit a later one) that Chester Newby (George Hood's Bondsman) was related to Nathan Newby of Balne Croft (near Pollington Grange).

Mary Newby, Daughter of Nathan Newby, Farmer, married Reuben Sykes, Son of John Sykes, Farmer, by Licence at Snaith 4th May 1839, both giving their Residence as Snaith.

Mary Sykes (nee Mary Newby) was born Baln Croft per 1851 Census:-

1851 Census for the Grange, Pollington, Snaith
Reuben Sykes, Head, Married, 53, Farmer of 284 Acres, Born Yorks Pollington.
Mary Sykes, Wife, Marr, 48, Farmers Wife, Born York's Baln Croft [Mary Newby].
John Sykes, Son, 10, Scholar, Born Yorkshire, Baln Croft.
Mary Sykes, Daur, 8, Scholar, Born Yorkshire, Baln Croft.
Elizabeth Whittaker, Visitor, 13, Born Yorkshire, Thorne.
Followed by Six Servants.

See Chester Newby's 1860 Probate Entry for the link to Reuben Sykes. Reuben's Wife Mary Sykes (Mary Newby before Marriage) was the Daughter of Nathan Newby of Baln Croft, Snaith, Yorkshire, England and Mary Sykes (Newby) looks to be related to Chester Newby.

Nathan Newby of Baln Croft, in the Parish of Snaith Register, England, had a Son called Robert Newby baptised 23rd July 1806.

1843 Robert Newby residence Pollington, Father Nathan Newby, later married Elizabeth Dickson in 1843 at Snaith, wits Elizabeth Grace & Richard Dickson.

It is interesting that George Newby, Wheelwright of nearby Balne, also baptised his Son, Robert Newby, at Snaith on 25th November 1804.

Both Sons being called Robert Newby (bapt 1804 & 1806) possibly suggests both the Newby Fathers (one of Balne and the other of Balne Croft) might be related to each other. If so, then Chester Newby will also be related to George Newby, Wheelwright of Balne, Snaith?

-------------------------------

Newby - Hood links

When George Newby, Wheelwright of Baln married Elizabeth Swann of Baln in 1802 at Snaith, Yorkshire a mystery William Hood was a witness at the marriage.

When George Newby's Son Robert married Eliza Fostard (or Eliza Frostard) at Fishlake, Yorkshire in 1835, it looks like a mystery Martha Hood was present?

1851 England Census for Sykehouse confirms this Robert Newby, was born, Yorkshire, Balne and his Wife Eliza, born Beverley, Yorkshire.

More mystery HOODs now?

Mark

Added: Plenty of earlier Sykes in the Robinson & Cook of Snaith family attachment notes/diagram, where the Bell Hotel, Leicester, Proprietor's Wife nee Robinson descends from (where George Hood's future Wife worked at Leicester in 1871) & Emma the Visitor to Charles Hood in 1891 descends from a Robinson at Heck. Both Hoods being born Selby had moved away ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6745581#msg6745581