Author Topic: Wilkins- Bath 1876 burial request look up please  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Carybeth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilkins- Bath 1876 burial request look up please
« on: Saturday 16 July 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
My 3xgreat grandmother, Catherine Selina Wilkins died at St James Parade, Bath on 10th June 1876. Catherine was originally from Stratford upon Avon and for reasons I will never probably know ended her days in Bath. I would appreciate any help in locating her final resting place. I am aware that her family and husband were comfortably well off and I am making a presumption that she may have a headstone. Thanks.  :)

Offline Hystericalwriter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkins- Bath 1876 burial request look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 July 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
I found her death recorded on Bath BMDs, 1876, Abbey ABB/26/262, this is the website which you may know of: http://www.bathbmd.org.uk/ but there is no record of her burial at Abbey on the latest addition to Ancestry..... or any of the Somerset burial records that is available on this site. There's no record on FreeReg either for Somerset.
Do you think that she may have been taken back to Stratford on Avon for burial. I know that this happened sometimes.

Anne

OWEN(s): Llangurig, MGY; JOHN: Treherbert GLA; LEWIS: Margam GLA; BOON: Brixham, DEV
VITTERY:Brixham, DEV; FRANCE: Brixham, DEV
GLOVER: Parkham, DEV ;BOIT: Wellington, SOM
YOUNG: Castle Combe, WIL; LIVINGSTONE: Limavady NI; CAMPBELL: Ballykelly, Derry

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 July 16 21:03 BST (UK) »
Where was her husband buried, the chances are, if they were well off, is that she would have been buried with him. Was she actually living in Bath or had she just gone there to "take the waters"?     
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carybeth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 July 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
I have tried Stratford upon Avon but no luck. :-[ She died of alcoholic disease, so presuming that she was sent there to spend her final days. ??? Her husband was Henry Robert Wilkins.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 July 16 23:09 BST (UK) »
By 1876 all the original churchyards of the central Bath parishes were closed. The parish burial boards used cemeteries in the outskirts of the city but those burials are mostly not recorded in the parish registers. Bath Record Office has a Burial Index which includes the records from most of the cemeteries. If you cannot visit there yourself, try ringing or e-mailing them. They are usually very helpful.

http://www.batharchives.co.uk/burial-indexes

David

Offline Carybeth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 16 23:03 BST (UK) »
By 1876 all the original churchyards of the central Bath parishes were closed. The parish burial boards used cemeteries in the outskirts of the city but those burials are mostly not recorded in the parish registers. Bath Record Office has a Burial Index which includes the records from most of the cemeteries. If you cannot visit there yourself, try ringing or e-mailing them. They are usually very helpful.

http://www.batharchives.co.uk/burial-indexes

David

Thanks David.

Offline AntWilkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I have no information but just wanted to say hello as I am a wilkins and my family also hail from Stratford, grandfather was Dennis Wilkins who at one point served in the Royal Navy