Author Topic: Kerrigan Family of Cloughbrack Upper  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Herr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kerrigan Family of Cloughbrack Upper
« on: Sunday 17 July 16 02:45 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any information about the parents of Patrick Kerrigan and Mary Sanders (Saunders) aka Baba of Cloughbrack Upper, Clonbur. They were married in 1879 and had eight children from 1880 through 1897. The family is listed in Cloughbrack Upper in the 1901 and 1911 census with Mary as the head of household. Mary later moved to Glentrague.  What we are looking for is any information about Patrick's parents and family. We believe his parents were Matthias Kerrigan and Maria Murphy. Patrick is listed as a widower on the marriage record so any information about his first wife and family would also be appreciated.  Mary's father was John Saunders. Possible siblings could be named Thady, Honor, and Anthony Saunders. Thank you for any information you could provide. 

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kerrigan Family of Cloughbrack Upper
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 16 12:18 BST (UK) »
There was a Patrick Kerrigan who married Bridget Conry on 6 February 1875, he was a 22 year old bachelor farmer living in 'Upper Cloughbrack', his father was given as Matthew, a farmer, she was living in nearby Drin and was the 21 year old daughter of Martin Conry, a herd / farmer. FamilySearch has an index entry for a death registered in Oughterard in 1876 for a 24 year old Bridget Kerrigan.

Just a possibility.

Offline Herr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
This is definitely a good possibility.  I have no record of a birth year for Patrick. I do know that there were a few different Kerrigan families in the area at the time but this sounds plausible.  Thank you for this information.   

Offline Herr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 July 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
Just checked Family Search and found John Kerrigan born to Bridget Conry and Patrick Kerrigan in April of 1876. It sounds like Bridget might have died in childbirth.

Offline Keggles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 05:01 BST (UK) »
I'm tracking a John Kerrigan in Balinasloe, Galway. I think born in 1923 with siblings Martin, Mary, James (Jimmy) and possibly Christie. I believe their father to also be John Kerrigan perhaps with a brother called Malachy. There is talk of their previous destination being Knock in County Mayo.

1923 John Kerrigan married my Grandmother Maragaret Caulfield in Balinasloe

Problem with census is they all had the same names.

Offline KTOB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 19:27 GMT (UK) »
There is a Mathias Kerrigan in Cloughbrack, who had several children within the timeframe you are suggesting, that was involved as an informant to the 1882 (or 1883, depending on what you read) murder of a father/son bailiff team that was coming to evict tenant farmers from their land on behalf of Lord Adrilaun (Guinness family heir). Kerrigan was a farmer on one of the properties. My familial line was also involved (the Higgins), and several of them were prosecuted and hung. If this is the correct Mathias Kerrigan - which it sounds like it might be - getting information may prove a bit tricky, as documentation for Irish tenant farmers can be sparse. There is a fair amount of information on this part of the history however. If you were to look up "Huddy murders" that would be a good space to start. That side of my family has been able to track a good portion of information due to solid family lore being orally passed down, and then a cousin marrying a geneologist who has been researching and compiling information for a book since 1993. Even he said he occasionally ran into to dead ends for a lot of different reasons relating to documentation and Irish Catholics who did not have great wealth.

Offline mary herrmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
I grew up hearing my mother talk about the Huddy Murders. I was relieved to find out that my great-great-grandfather Mathias Kerrigan was not the same Mathias related to the murders. The ages of the children of the two Mathias Kerrigans are different. They might very well be cousins though. My ancestor passed away in 1892.  I believe that the other Mathias Kerrigan passed away in 1898.