Author Topic: Records for St. Columba's Catholic Church Cashel Glencolumbkille Donegal Ireland  (Read 4095 times)

Offline kmuttleyjr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have searched roots chat and read the sticky post offering links to church records however I could not find an answer. Im looking for online records...if they exist... for St. Columba's Catholic Church Cashel, Glencolumbkille, Donegal, Ireland. Im interested in records for the Curran's who lived nearby in Braade Upper. Does anyone know if the records are only available at the church? And if so are there any alternative sources of information compiled?
McLaughlin
Curran
Holmes

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
According to this site, the RC records for Glencolumbkille only start in 1880. They are held by the parish priest. LDS have copied them up to 1949, but otherwise no other copies appear to exist:

https://www.johngrenham.com/browse/counties/rcmaps/donegalrc.php#maps/
Elwyn

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
donegal resources

http://www.donegalgenealogy.com

then come down the page and click on Glencolumbkille

Curran can be spelt Curren and on Braade Upper, also on griffins Margaret Curran mention at Cashel

Offline Paul R Curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Records for St. Columba's Catholic Church Cashel Glencolumbkille Donegal Ireland
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello, My Name is Paul Curran. My father, my grandparents and my great grandparents all lived at No 8 Braade Upper. Next door was another Curran family but not relatives. I can trace the burials in St Columbas church graveyard of most of my Irish family. I can only use 1901 and 1911 census records for some of the family and rely on the burial records found on "Ireland reaching out" website and following the link to Glencolmcille and "find a grave" to find some others. I can't find any other records except to be able to make some links to my maternal grandmothers family, McGonagles of Meenadreen and her mothers family McGinlys of Meenacross. Sorry I can't give any more help.

Offline kmuttleyjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Records for St. Columba's Catholic Church Cashel Glencolumbkille Donegal Ireland
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Paul, thanks for the reply. Our ancestors lived across the street from one another. Yours in house 8 snd mine in house 6 & 7. Is house 8 still standing? I can only find 6&7. I have had luck with Ireland Reaching Out. One researcher said the Curran's might be related but back several generations and from Malinbeg. I added a bunch of graves to find a grave for St. Columba's based on photo's taken by the parish.

McLaughlin
Curran
Holmes

Offline Paul R Curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 January 17 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, I've not been back to Ireland since 1966/7 My cousin Cathal Curran took on the farming at No8 when the uncles became too old. As far as I am aware he still is the freeholder. most of the properties on the north side of the road still appear to hold true to their original footprints, I remember clearly having to walk to the left of my grandparents drive and across to the left in order to reach the other Currans Croft, where I only recall the mother and two sons. John Joseph being one and James John (I think) being the other.

Offline kmuttleyjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 January 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Paul, John Joseph and my grandfather Hugh were noted as being Volunteers in my great aunt Bridget's obituary.

From I figured out they would have been in the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 1st Northern Division, (RO 372). Glencolmcille D Company.

Does any information exist about D Company?
McLaughlin
Curran
Holmes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 January 17 10:00 GMT (UK) »
My father, my grandparents and my great grandparents all lived at No 8 Braade Upper. Next door was another Curran family but not relatives.
Our ancestors lived across the street from one another. Yours in house 8 snd mine in house 6 & 7.
The numbers in the census are just for enumeration (the order in which the enumerator did his round) and are not house numbers so #6 might not have been next to #8 and across from #7, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 January 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Put Glen*cille into the search, brings up a few results for the area
http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/bmhsearch/search.jsp

The * allows for spelling variations on the name.