Author Topic: Records for St. Columba's Catholic Church Cashel Glencolumbkille Donegal Ireland  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Paul R Curran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Records for St. Columba's Catholic Church Cashel Glencolumbkille Donegal Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 January 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello to kmuttleyjr in particular, I suspect that the army details you supplied, refer to the Irish Republican Army of about 1920. A difficult time for many in Ireland, what with independence and then civil war. Many people just wanted to get on with their daily lives and not get politically involved. My understanding was that Glen was not exactly a hotbed of activity although some young men of the parish may have been tempted by political persuasion to travel beyond Glen and take part in creating Irish history.

Offline Paul R Curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Records for St. Columba's Catholic Church Cashel Glencolumbkille Donegal Ireland
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 January 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Kmuttleyjr. It sounds as though Your John Joseph and Hugh would have been one generation before the John Joseph and James John that I mentioned. Since they were aged 14 and 12 at the 1911 census, they seem just the right age to have served at the time of independence and civil war.

Offline Alonza0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 July 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
My father, my grandparents and my great grandparents all lived at No 8 Braade Upper. Next door was another Curran family but not relatives.
Our ancestors lived across the street from one another. Yours in house 8 snd mine in house 6 & 7.

I know this is an old thread, but I saw it and couldn't help but reply. My ancestors lived in House 9 in Braade Upper. Don't know what was in the water there, but apparently it's turned us all genealogists.

Offline kmuttleyjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 March 18 03:14 BST (UK) »
Looks like we have house 6, 7, 8, and 9 back together. Fascinating how that works out. I heard a cousin of mine is in town from England seeing about getting house 6/7 back up and livable. It would be a daughter of John Curran who moved to England. His brother James Joseph was the last to live there until his death in 2006. Both John and James are the sons of John Joseph Curran who is the brother of my grandfather Hugh Curran. Id love to get in touch to help her out.
McLaughlin
Curran
Holmes

Offline Paul R Curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 March 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hello all, If you look up The Griffiths Valuation 1857 for Glencolmbkille and then Braade Upper you can find Property  6/7 as being tenanted by Bridget and Daniel Curry with No 8 as being tenanted by Mary Curry. So either we were Curry at one time or else the enumerator wrote the name as he heard it. Bearing in mind that this generation were not literate. I have also found my ancestors referred to as Curren and Currin on other documents. The immediate lessorof the properties is probably a solicitor or the like acting as the agent for a wealthy absentee landlord, probably English. The Earl Coyningham crops up as the most likely owner.

Offline Paul R Curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have said, it looks as though plots 17 and 18 line up with properties 8 and 6/7 respectively. When you compare the historic map to the modern one and Google Earth. It certainly looks that way to me, because as children we used to walk across the road from my grandparents to swim in the stream where there was a small waterfall and reasonably deep enough water.