Author Topic: Jowsey in Jersey....not sure where to look ?  (Read 438 times)

Offline VictoriaJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jowsey in Jersey....not sure where to look ?
« on: Monday 18 July 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya

My 3 x great grandfather had a son called Charles Jowsey.  Born 1851 (I believe from a baptism) in North Shields/Tynemouth.
He appears on the English 1861 census living with his "mother" - in fact his step mum and brother who are my 3 x great grandmother, and 2 x great grandfather.
After this I lose him:
HOWEVER

In the 1881 Channel Island census, I find a Charles Jowsey b. 1857 England living as a boarder in St Helier.  He is a mariner.
I have searched various crew lists/agreements and found him on a boat called Robinsons (out of Guernsey) between Aug 1st and Dec 10th sailing between, Jersey, Shields and London.  Makes sense - possibly he lied about his age slightly to get on a crew, and had picked up a boat in Shields (his dad was mariner too)

Now the problem is I am struggling to find anything else on this Charles Jowsey which will help me figure out if he is mine. 

On the 1911 Channel Island census however, I find a Louise Jowsey, born 1892 St Peter, Jersey, Channel Islands and is a cousin to either Julien or Jeanne Herve.  But I can't find any other reference to Louise, though am wondering if she could be a daughter.....

So, having told you all that, can any give me an idea of the best place where I can find details of either birth/marriage/deaths/census returns etc, and also any further information on possible crew lists/agreements ?  I think he might of been on something like the Gypsy or Princess (can't quite read it) of Guernsey before Robinsons.  Unfortunately I live in NZ so cannot actually visit Jersey to look through records there.

Thanks for any help
Victoria
North shields, tynemouth, prudhoe, west wylam, urchfont, isle of thanet

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline VictoriaJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jowsey in Jersey....not sure where to look ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 16 10:28 BST (UK) »

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 16 10:36 BST (UK) »
There's a death in the Shields Daily Gazette 02/04/1864 for a Charles Jowsey aged 48, master mariner - his father?
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline VictoriaJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
His Uncle - father was called Leonard  :)