Author Topic: Jowsey in Jersey....not sure where to look ?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jowsey in Jersey....not sure where to look ?
« on: Monday 18 July 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya

My 3 x great grandfather had a son called Charles Jowsey.  Born 1851 (I believe from a baptism) in North Shields/Tynemouth.
He appears on the English 1861 census living with his "mother" - in fact his step mum and brother who are my 3 x great grandmother, and 2 x great grandfather.
After this I lose him:
HOWEVER

In the 1881 Channel Island census, I find a Charles Jowsey b. 1857 England living as a boarder in St Helier.  He is a mariner.
I have searched various crew lists/agreements and found him on a boat called Robinsons (out of Guernsey) between Aug 1st and Dec 10th sailing between, Jersey, Shields and London.  Makes sense - possibly he lied about his age slightly to get on a crew, and had picked up a boat in Shields (his dad was mariner too)

Now the problem is I am struggling to find anything else on this Charles Jowsey which will help me figure out if he is mine. 

On the 1911 Channel Island census however, I find a Louise Jowsey, born 1892 St Peter, Jersey, Channel Islands and is a cousin to either Julien or Jeanne Herve.  But I can't find any other reference to Louise, though am wondering if she could be a daughter.....

So, having told you all that, can any give me an idea of the best place where I can find details of either birth/marriage/deaths/census returns etc, and also any further information on possible crew lists/agreements ?  I think he might of been on something like the Gypsy or Princess (can't quite read it) of Guernsey before Robinsons.  Unfortunately I live in NZ so cannot actually visit Jersey to look through records there.

Thanks for any help
Victoria
North shields, tynemouth, prudhoe, west wylam, urchfont, isle of thanet

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jowsey in Jersey....not sure where to look ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 16 10:28 BST (UK) »

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 16 10:36 BST (UK) »
There's a death in the Shields Daily Gazette 02/04/1864 for a Charles Jowsey aged 48, master mariner - his father?
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
His Uncle - father was called Leonard  :)