Author Topic: Irish soldier's marriage not traced  (Read 4570 times)

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish soldier's marriage not traced
« on: Monday 18 July 16 10:42 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I am on the right board with this one. Michael Meara(O'Meara) born in Ireland 1824 married a Hannah (poss. Main) said to be born Gosport 1833 on the 1891 and 1901 census for Accrington lancs. He served in India with the British Army and 4 of their children were born there. Traced Mary Ellen and Mary Ann on the India records for Madras. Lawrence and Catherine Lucy not traced. Their son Michael was born in Nenagh Ireland 1870 and the birth record shows mother as Hannah Murn but I couldn't trace that name in UK or Irish records. Sometime after 1870 they came to England and all the family traced from 1881 onwards in Accrington. I was led to surname Main by searching all Hannahs born Gosport in 1833 but there is no trace of a marriage to Michael in UK, Ireland or India so that could be wrong. Michael was in receipt of a pension (annuity) and died between 1881 and 1891 but death not traced in Lancs. Could he have been a Chelsea pensioner and died in their hospital? I would like to trace the marriage of Hannah and Michael and his death record. Many thanks.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish soldier's marriage not traced
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
Per the 1891 census there was a child Agnes born at Church circa 1875.

LancsBMD lists an Agnes Mary Meara registered in 1875 at Oswaldtwistle (the right neck of the woods). Mother's maiden name Morton.

The 1881 census lists another child John born circa 1878.

LancsBMD has a John Meara birth registered at Oswaldtwistle in 1878, mother's maiden name Murn.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 16 18:58 BST (UK) »
Per the 1891 census there was a child Agnes born at Church circa 1875.

LancsBMD lists an Agnes Mary Meara registered in 1875 at Oswaldtwistle (the right neck of the woods). Mother's maiden name Morton.

The 1881 census lists another child John born circa 1878.

LancsBMD has a John Meara birth registered at Oswaldtwistle in 1878, mother's maiden name Murn.
Thank you ShaunJ..I saw the birth registry records for Agnes and John but didn't know the mother's maiden name. "Murn" has cropped up again as per Michael 1870 so I will try further tracing. I am so close to finalising this tree but yet so far away.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 12:02 BST (UK) »
Michael's regiment (per those two baptisms in India) was "1st Royals" : the 1st Regiment of Foot. From pension payment records it looks like he was admitted to pension on 7 December 1869 in Birr district and moved to the Preston district on 1 July 1874.

You can find his army discharge papers on FindMyPast indexed as Micheal Meara 698

It is possible that his marriage was recorded on the muster rolls: a possible avenue of research.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
The army papers show that he had 27 years of unbroken service in the East Indies from 1842 to 1869 (with various regiments) so he must have married while he was out there.

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 18:41 BST (UK) »
The army papers show that he had 27 years of unbroken service in the East Indies from 1842 to 1869 (with various regiments) so he must have married while he was out there.
Thanks again ShaunJ I am taking note of all you have discovered, won't be doing much on it this evening due to heat but really pleased with it all. Sue

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 July 16 16:00 BST (UK) »
Michael's regiment (per those two baptisms in India) was "1st Royals" : the 1st Regiment of Foot. From pension payment records it looks like he was admitted to pension on 7 December 1869 in Birr district and moved to the Preston district on 1 July 1874.

You can find his army discharge papers on FindMyPast indexed as Micheal Meara 698

It is possible that his marriage was recorded on the muster rolls: a possible avenue of research.
I have the discharge papers from FmyP now thanks but could you tell me how to view the pension payment records that mention moving to the Preston district on 1 July 1874. Thank you

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 July 16 16:34 BST (UK) »
Search the British Army records on FmyP for Michl Meara, with "1st" in the Additional Key Words box.