Author Topic: Edling or Edlin of Leicestershire  (Read 1652 times)

Offline prowel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edling or Edlin of Leicestershire
« on: Monday 18 July 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
I need some help with dates.My Aunt traced the Edlin back to Emma by visiting the villages they had lived in .I have dates for Emma Edling B.1515 Married John 1535, son William born 1538.I also have the following dates found on Roots chat .Emma died 1515, children Emmet B. 1485 ,Margaret B. 1490, William B. 1490 [twin with Margaret ?] buried 1538 Redmile. William's children were born between 1581-1585 so he could not have been dead. Is there another William I am missing  .Any help would be appreciated.
Thankyou

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Edling or Edlin of Leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 11:48 BST (UK) »
There is alot of confusion about this early Edlin family.  I have come to the conclusion that Emma who married John was in fact buried in 1515.  Do you have details of the marriage that you quote?
I think that they had at least three children:

William born 1490 buried 1538 Redmile
Emmett  born c 1485 married Thomas Bolton
Margaret  born c 1490 married Edward Lyddyrlard

The Edlin line seems to descend from William through his son John.

There is a thread for this family on the one name board.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline prowel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Emma was married to John in1535 and had a son William in 1538. I have now found extracted from  wills that There was another William Edlyn Born 1490 Died 1538 Children John . Elsabeth , Annye , Margaret [died 1538].John Edlyne [ died 1582 Knipton] married Cathrine Claxton? [mentioned in will]
children Allice ,William ,Robert ,Johan ,Rychard , John , Agnes , I think it was this John that married Emma. Do you think this sounds about right.
Thanks for your help

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 07:35 BST (UK) »
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 11:50 BST (UK) »
I agree with all that you have written except 'Emma was married to John in 1535 and had a son William in 1538.'  I think there was only one William who died in 1538 and was the son of Emma and John. There are a number of possible sources which use b for burial that has been interpreted as born. Most of these can easily be disproved but Emma and her son William remain an enigma.  Hence my request for details of the marriage of Emma and John which would help to prove this one way or the other.
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
I need some help with dates.My Aunt traced the Edlin back to Emma by visiting the villages they had lived in .I have dates for Emma Edling B.1515 Married John 1535, son William born 1538.I also have the following dates found on Roots chat .Emma died 1515, children Emmet B. 1485 ,Margaret B. 1490, William B. 1490 [twin with Margaret ?] buried 1538 Redmile. William's children were born between 1581-1585 so he could not have been dead. Is there another William I am missing  .Any help would be appreciated.
Thankyou

Hi

I realise that this is not what you are looking for, but may be of interest to you. In the late 1960's. early 1970's, I went to School in Loughborough. One of my Form Masters was called Mr. Edlin. I imagine that you are aware of him, but thought I would mention it.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 July 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
From another post I gather that PROWEL is probably descended from one of the three brothers who emigrated to New Zealand in the middle of the 19th century.  I cannot identify your teacher from the information given.  Do you know any more?

Offline EADG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 July 16 16:39 BST (UK) »
From another post I gather that PROWEL is probably descended from one of the three brothers who emigrated to New Zealand in the middle of the 19th century.  I cannot identify your teacher from the information given.  Do you know any more?

Mr. Edlin was my Form Master at De Lisle Comprehensive Roman Catholic School in Loughborough around 1969/1970. I am sure of the spelling of his name. At the time, he would have been in his mid/late thirties. He was a descent man, who used to refer to us as "laddie" if we were in hot water. He called me "laddie" quite a lot! I believe he lived in the town, as I did used to see him from time to time.

Offline prowel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 July 16 04:13 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Henry Edlin who came to NZ in 1864