Author Topic: Father Charles Grant MacDonald  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Father Charles Grant MacDonald
« on: Monday 18 July 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I have attached the first paragraph of my 4x Great Uncle Father Charles MacDonalds short biography. It is part of a book which he had published called Moidart: Amongst the Clanranalds. There is some quite exciting claims about his paternal past! Was wondering what you all thought the chances were of proving these claims and connecting it all together?
Regards
Kevin
Malley, McCloskey, O'Donnell, Bresland, Dermidy, MacDonald, Lacey, Thornton, Quinn, Barret, Brogan, McCahill, Dempsey, Gallagher

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Father Charles Grant MacDonald
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 16 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin......

Am I correct in thinking from your wording that your 4 x great uncle was a Minister ?

Can you possibly elaborate with other family names/dates/places as this is a wee bit vague for any MacDonalds (of Clanranald) connections.

The more info. you can provide...the more chance of a connection as this family (Clanranald) have a huge following with much research done.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 16 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Thanks for quick response.
He was a RC Priest whose parish was in the Moidart area, his chapel was at Mingarry.
His father Alexander was Tacksman at Knocknagael just outside Inverness he was born in the 1790's and died in 1842 aged 46. He was a whiskey distiller for a short time in the 1820's at Millburn Distillery in Inverness which he Co owned with a James Rose. His wife Jessie Garden was born 1802 in Auldearn, Nairnshire and died 1876 in Acharacle, Argyllshire. His siblings were Alexander b1826, John b1829, James b1830 (my 3xgg), Mary b1832, Archibald b1833 and Thomas Alexander b1837 all born in Inverness.
The family were at Plainfield Cottage, Inverness in 1851 census and the 3 eldest boys were all lawyers clerks.
Alexander the eldest was baptised at St Marys Eskadale in 1826. Charles and Thomas were baptised at St Marys Inverness.
Regards
Kevin
Malley, McCloskey, O'Donnell, Bresland, Dermidy, MacDonald, Lacey, Thornton, Quinn, Barret, Brogan, McCahill, Dempsey, Gallagher

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

Have you looked on this site....https://westernisles.wordpress.com/

Very informative although the owner has now sadly passed away but still good for research although I can't say whether it will contain anything relevant for yourself  ???

This page may be of interest?

http://www.moidart.org.uk/datasets/glenmoidart/rpm.htm

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
I am actually wondering if there is a transcription error/name variant of wife Jessie Garden born 1802......could this be "Gordon" surname  ???

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hmm....

How sure of which Charles Grant MacDonald you have is correct?

A coincidence with birth year.....https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYV2-L61

How have you determined that your Charles Grant MacDonald is the correct one?

Do you have his death cert & death certs for his siblings?

Annie

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Death:
Charles McDonald, Roman Catholic Minister, single, died aged 74 on 7 Oct 1894 at St Clair Villa, West King Street, Helensburgh.  Causse of death was chronic pneumonia over 10 years, acute attack of inflammation.  His parents were Alexander McDonald, Farmer and Distiller, and Jessie McDonald, maiden name Garden. The informant was his nephew, C ? Bates?? MB of Carrick Street Glasgow

A large cross for Fr Charles McDonald was erected on the burial island of Loch Shiel, funded by over 200 public donations.  Will see if I can find more about this.

Added: Rosenish, it looks like Garden on the deat cert but I agree, more likely Gordon

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 14:34 BST (UK) »

A large cross for Fr Charles McDonald was erected on the burial island of Loch Shiel, funded by over 200 public donations.  Will see if I can find more about this.

Br1gau, you and I have chatted about St Finians Isle on Loch Shiel. I bored you with my holiday photos  ;D Just for background on that post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=473750.0

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
Going back to my photos, I think this one below is the one for Father Charles:

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk