Author Topic: Rankin Gravestone in Gordon Churchyard  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rankin Gravestone in Gordon Churchyard
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - it's clarified things a bit.

So you have a daughter for George Simson and Margaret Rule - Margaret b1780. I thought you were implying that Mary Simson Rankin was also their daughter?

Anyway, I found George Rankin and Mary Simson Rankin in the 1841 census. According to this Mary was born in 1785 not 1795. I don't know if this is accurate, or if the stone saying she was born in 1795 was wrong, or perhaps the transcription of the stone is wrong. (an 8 and a 9 can look quite similar especially if the stone was weathered). Anyway, this couple have four children with them - Margaret b 1811, David b 1816 and Agnes b 1824, and Hannah b 1826.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 08:08 BST (UK) »
I found James Rankin in the 1861 census. He has Mary Katherine b 1852 Eccles, plus 11 year old Margaret and 7 year old George. He's a farmer of 900 acres with several workers living with him. There is no wife.

Added: George aged 7 has the middle name Catherine according to the census transcription. Whether this is a typo or not I don't know. It maybe a clue as to his mother's name. A check on SP may clarify.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 July 16 13:24 BST (UK) »
found family living at Stenmoor in Hume parish - the 1851 census show mary as a widow and she was born at Gordon - the 1851 also has her daugther Mary (unmarried) listed with several other children - daniel seems the inherit the Farmer

the 1841 has George as a farmer at Stenmoor (family farm)

In 1861 richard Rankin has the farm - something must have happen to daniel and mary his sister is still lives there (unmarried 43) as Housekeeper

age gap not that usual in the farming community

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 July 16 18:26 BST (UK) »
Ruskin & Teriann,
        I will get back to this post ASAP...as I have the Pre 1855 M.I. for Gordon,Berwickshire and the info. is slightly different from the M.I. for Gordon M.I. book #7.
   I will need to sort these two inscriptions out.

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger