Author Topic: Thomas Murray, Annie Mack, Violet Murray  (Read 1060 times)

Offline PeasePudding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Murray, Annie Mack, Violet Murray
« on: Monday 18 July 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm desperately trying to find info on Thomas Murray, who married Annie Mack and had a daughter Violet Murray b 1926. I know that Violet was born in Jamestown, Dunbartonshire. Thomas fought and survived the first world war, but apparently killed himself by drinking bleach as he suffered a lot from the effects of mustard gas poisoning. This would've been about 1939.

But. I can't narrow him down to any records. There's a lot of Thomas Murrays in the 1901 census and ww1 records and I can't differentiate. Can't find a marriage record or death or anything in the newspaper archives.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
Pease, Sutton, Weedon, Hartley, Robson, Stephenson, Bartley

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Murray, Annie Mack, Violet Murray
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 00:22 BST (UK) »
Thomas Murray, who married Annie Mack

Did they marry in Scotland?  Have you looked for the marriage on Scotlands People?  The marriage cert will give you his parents names and mothers maiden name and also Thomas's age

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

If he died in Scotland - his death cert will also give parental information plus his age at death which will help determine a birthyear

Daughters birth cert will also give you the date and venue of her parents marriage
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 00:41 BST (UK) »
Using the basic search on ScotlandsPeople there is a marriage of a Thomas Murray to an Annie Mack in 1908 Dunbarton.

Offline PeasePudding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
I'm such an idiot... I've been looking on Ancestry, and most of the records are just england and wales. I didn't realise! God, I need to get better at this ha! I'm going to buy the scotlands people credits and search there. Thanks everyone.
Pease, Sutton, Weedon, Hartley, Robson, Stephenson, Bartley

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

No problem.  Ancestry does have the Scottish censuses 1841- 1901 so when you get a bit more info you may be able to find him with his parents.

The 1911 is only available on SP but it will give you his birthplace to make tracing back easier
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)