Author Topic: how to find information on my uncle Jack wilson  (Read 2850 times)

Offline jackie563

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
how to find information on my uncle Jack wilson
« on: Tuesday 19 July 16 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could anyone help me on how do I find more about my uncle or how to find information.my uncle was Jack wilson born in scotland Barrhead, he joined the Navy and died in ww2 .I dont have his date of birth, he was 19 years old when he died.I have been told when my father was still alive that his ship got blown up.all I know is my grandfathers names was james wilson dont even know his date of birth and my grandmother was helensimpson cargill wilson.i searched every search place there is I even joined ancestry .com.i know my grandfather was buried in neilston cemetary in 1979 or 1980... I am so new to this  but at the moment ive developed a headache that wont go away lol
if anyone could point me in the right direction would be so appreciated..I would go look myself except I live in Australia .
thank you in advance
jackie

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 06:08 BST (UK) »
Start by checking the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website www.cwgc.org.

Scottish records will be on ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk - but that is a Pay-per-view website.
You have to purchase credits. ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jackie563

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 06:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you will try that now
also do you know the name of the war memorial in glasgow I think..when I visited in 1989 we drove from glasgow to inverness and we stopped atthis war mememorial on the way and his name was on that I took a photo for my dad but since he passed away it was lost..wished I had a better memory
cheers
jackie

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 06:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome, Jackie

Keeping in mind that Jack is possibly really John, I have found:

Ayrshire   WILSON   JOHN AGNEW   19   21/02/1941   Ordinary Seaman   Royal Naval Patrol Service   H.M. Trawler Rubens.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 06:17 BST (UK) »
The Ruebens was sunk by the Germans.

http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/6452.html

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 06:23 BST (UK) »
Jackie for Scottish records this is the site you are best to use. It is a pay as you go site and you buy credits.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/?gclid=COeRuJTk_s0CFQGAvQodbNAKgQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMfe_5Tk_s0CFcd_vQodYboDAg

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 06:25 BST (UK) »
 Doing a basic search on ScotlandsPeople there is a marriage in 1918 for a James Wilson and a Helen Cargill.
I didn't go through all the counties/districts to pinpoint where it took place. You would have to purchase credits to see the image.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 06:33 BST (UK) »
Crisane, is the marriage in Girvan?

No it wasn't:

1918   WILSON   JAMES   CARGILL   HELEN S   district BLYTHSWOOD   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/10 2574

Jamjar

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 06:40 BST (UK) »
Commonwealth War graves commission for John Agnew WILSON who died 1941 says he is son of Fergus and Agnes WILSON

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2500985/WILSON,%20JOHN%20AGNEW

regards
  Ros
Yes I am stalking you Jamjar  :)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland