Author Topic: Seeking a family who lived in Geraldton in Western Australia.  (Read 2640 times)

Offline CallyJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a family who lived in Geraldton in Western Australia.
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 24 September 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
A English passenger named Henry ABERY, aged 26 years, travelled from Melbourne to Hobart Town on the barque Oceanica on the 29 September 1852.

This Henry Abery would have been born around 1826-27.

Over the years I have searched variations of the spelling of Aubrey but have not found anything. I always wondered why a 15 year old boy (born in 1837) would come to Australia on his own in 1852.

An item in the Geraldton Express of Friday, 27 December 1907, page 4, in a column called Yalgoo Yappings said:

"Harry Aubery, an old identity of the district, died last night (Sunday) after a short illness. Deceased was 70 years of age, and had been about the district for the last fifty years. He leaves a family of one son and three or four daughters, none of whom were near enough to get here in time for the funeral, which took place today."

I will do some more research and post any information I find.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.