Author Topic: Thomas Davies b 1823 approximately and Ann b 1820 approximately  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Davies b 1823 approximately and Ann b 1820 approximately
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 July 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thomas Chambers would appear to be a possibly a tenant farmer or the miller at Ballahowin (the name is also that of the surrounding treen as this farm adjacent to St Johns + tynwald hill was probably much more important in previous ages)
 name sometimes rendered as Balnahowin) - he is on the 1814 'census' (list of those assessed for church cess) for Kirk German dated 8 May 1814 wch shows him as head of household consisting of himself + 2 adult females(one is almost certainly his wife)
Ballahowin is the 10acre farm on the south side of Tynwald Hill - I have a titheplan of farm in 1840 which shows it straddling the road to Castletown - at that time very few houses - it is possible that he was the miller as at that time there was a small mill on the Neb within this area - he doesn't appear to have acquired any land as can't find him named in any deeds

From St Johns it is almost the same distance to Kirk German church in Peel or to Kirk Patrick church along the road south of the Neb.
Chambers is often a Scottish name
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Davies b 1823 approximately and Ann b 1820 approximately
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 July 16 10:11 BST (UK) »
Frances -- although this isn't my query (I was simply the person trying to help at the beginning to find out which ancestor was born in the Isle of Man) --- can I just say what amazing local information you have provided for 'Thedeesideduck'.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.