Author Topic: Edward Vernon TAYLOR born 1921 Scotland  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Vernon TAYLOR born 1921 Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 July 16 06:39 BST (UK) »
Thank so much, Seaweed, for this great info - I do appreciate the detail you've given me. The pouches sound like a wonderful resource. I never would have found the reference with the middle initial being incorrect.

I live in Australia so can't access the records myself but will see if I can find someone do it for me.

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 July 16 19:51 BST (UK) »
Oop's. Sorry I forgot you are in Australia.
I should be at TNA mid August. If you find no one to do your look up's, just drop me a PM and I will try to access them for you.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 July 16 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the kind offer, Seaweed.  :-) I'll be in touch if I'm not able to get the info before then.

Jan
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
Was at Kew yesterday and found some comprehensive Merchant Navy records for Edward Vernon Taylor. Both his "Seaman's Pouch and his form CRS10 have survived giving a  seagoing record stretching from 1937 through to  1950.
He first went to sea on the 19/2/1937 as a Lift Attendant aboard CAMERONIA,official number 144242 and served on some twenty vessels during and after WW2 rising to the rank of Second Mate. His last ship was the London registered motor ship TOWER GRANGE o/n 167617 which he signed off in Cardiff on the 15/9/1950. I attempted to look at the Logbook and Crew agreement of this vessel to see if there were any clues to his next move but unfortunately these seem to have been lost or destroyed for the dates in question.   He requested to leave the MN which was approved on 4/4/1951. The last I can find of him is on 4/3/1951 when his Ration Books were transfered from MN to Civilian. His address was given as the Seamans Club, Tower Hill London.
Throughout his career his conduct and competency was always VG VG (Very Good)
There was some interesting detail in his seaman's ID card as well as a mugshot of him.
The page giving his Next of Kin or close friend gives Margret Coulson as his nok, stating she was his Mother, address given as 103 Ladykirk Drive, Glasgow, SW2?
Next 26/7/1944 his nok  is given as his Uncle George Coulson, 50 Boyd Street, Glasgow S9?
Next his nok is given as his Wife,( Mu)rial (Partly obscuered) Elizabeth address is given as 6 Dale Grove Finchley London N12.
So some new avenues for you to explore. There is probably more detail within these documents which would be of interest to you. If you would like them just PM your postal address (they are two large to send via e mail, and I will pass them on.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Wow! SW, thanks so much for this info - more than I ever expected. And the photo is a bonus :-) And to have a lead to his wife - fantastic!

I do appreciate your time and efforts - if there's anything I can help with in Australian records, please let me know.

Thrilled to bits!
Jan
England:

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 November 16 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Edward V Taylor is listed as living at 50 Boyd Street in these years immediately after the war...

So he was still alive in 1954, but then he goes missing.     Couldn't find a death on Scotlands People  for him.      ...On the above list, he is missing for the years 1946 to 48, and once more in 1952.       

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 November 16 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Also, on the London Electoral Register for 1947, Edward J Taylor is at 30 Woodrow Avenue, Southall with Ethel M.      And same year, at 80 Woodrow Avenue, there is Edward J Coulson and Georgina Coulson.      Might it be that these two Coulsons living in the same street as Edward are related to him?

This is the only London Electoral register I looked at, but there are others for Edward J Taylor.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 November 16 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for finding Edward at Boyd St. He was at sea in 1946 - 1948. I found a marriage for him to Muriel Elizabeth Todd in 1950 in Hendon. I couldn't find a death on SP either or in England. He was sometimes known as Vernon Taylor.
I don't know of an Edward J Taylor - a different Coulson family, I think.
Jan
England: