Author Topic: Benjamin Davies (Davis)  (Read 1099 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Davies (Davis)
« on: Wednesday 20 July 16 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Trying to find some more information on this person and his parents.
Benjamin Davies was born in Carmarthenshire, Wales c 1851 - I believe his birth registration may have taken place during the June quarter of 1851 (Carmarthen).
He married Martha Pinkney (Suffield) in Coatham, Yorkshire on the 4th February 1874 giving his father's name as James Davies.
Benjamin was a gardener by trade and he and Martha settled eventually in Seaham Harbour - he died there during the June quarter of 1931. He used the surname Davis from 1881.

I have tried to find him with his parents and have come across a Benjamin Davies in 1851, living in Moelfre and Idole, Carmarthenshire with his parents, James and Mary Davies.

James appears to have come from Llanhinglararth (?), Carmarthenshire whilst Mary comes from Trelech, Carmarthenshire. Both where born c 1824.
I think they may have married within the Newcastle Emlyn RD during the June quarter of 1846.

They also had another son, John, who was 2 years of age.

Mary is widowed by 1861, but the family has grown with the addition of Ann (aged 7 years) and William (aged 3 years).
Mary is living in Checker's Alley, St Peter, Carmarthenshire.

I cannot find her, or John, Ann and William, with any certainty after this date, although Benjamin can be traced, living in Wynyard Park, Durham, where he was employed as a gardener.

Any help in tracing his baptism, or info on his parents would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Sue

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Davies (Davis)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Benjamin Davies was born in Carmarthenshire, Wales c 1851 - I believe his birth registration may have taken place during the June quarter of 1851 (Carmarthen).

Thanks

Sue

on 1851 census -if I am following the same family as you - Benjamin is given as age 3months b Llandefeilog

1851 census was taken 30 mar 1851 -so possibly Benjamin was born very late Dec 1850 or jan 1851
There is a birth reg freebmd for Benjamin Mar qtr 1851 Carmarthan (Llandeffeilog falls within this reg dist

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 16 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Suz, I believe you may be right re Benjamin's birth registration.
Thanks for your interest!

Sue

Offline PHILCYMRO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
Llanhinglararth  This might be Llanfihangel ar arth which is up towards Pencader.

Offline dawncat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Llanhinglararth  This might be Llanfihangel ar arth which is up towards Pencader.

was going to say the same.  I've been researching family in that area and that mis-spelling comes up regularly

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Checking the new GRO index against birth years it seems Marys maiden name was Morris.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Possible marriage, both on same page

Marriages Dec Q 1848 
DAVIES    James        Carmarthen    26   801    
Morris    Mary        Carmarthen    26   801    

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland