Author Topic: McPhersons  (Read 2204 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McPhersons
« on: Thursday 21 July 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd give one of my brick walls a go and I'm looking for inspiration.

I have Jessie McPherson/Macpherson who married David Campbell in Arderseir on 25 Dec 1844.  She was widowed in 1855 and remarried George Meycock/Meacock in 1860.  She died in 1896 after moving to Edinburgh to live with her son. According to her age give on second marriage the census returns (1851 to 1891) and on death she would have been born about 1821 and her place of birth on all censuses is given as Nairn or Kildrummie Nairnshire.  She gives her parent's names as Alexander and Janet Mackenzie (second marriage and death).  I cannot find a baptism, anything on her parents or her in 1841.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McPhersons
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 September 16 18:26 BST (UK) »
If she used the surname McPherson but named her parents as Alexander and Janet McKenzie is it possible that she was illegitimate and her mother was really Janet McPherson?? Or do her 2nd marriage and death registrations give another maiden name for her mother?

There is a Janet Mckenzie born 1821 in Auldearn to Alexander Mckenzie and Janet McPhail http://bit.ly/2cnVglK  Normally I would reject that record on mismatch of names (though Janet/Jessie could be the same person) and difference parish (I think Kildrummie is in Nairn parish, to the west of the town, whereas Auldearn is the parish to the east) but with the apparent uncertainty on her name I might want to investigate this person in order to to rule her out.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
This is by way of eliminating possible Jessie McPhersons.
Janet and Jessie are interchangeable names. 
Scotlands People have three Janet McPhersons born around the right time in Nairnshire: two in Ardclach born in 1817 and 1819 and one in Croy in 1820.  There are no Jessies born between 1810 and 1825.

Freecen only have one Janet McPherson b1821 +/-10 in Nairnshire in 1841 who is 20 years old with a Jane aged 25, both as female servants to the Minister James Main in Nairn.
There is a Jane McPherson born in 1815 in Ardclach but no Jane or Jean in Croy.  Unfortunately, according to Family Search, the parents of Jane 23rd July 1815 and her sister Janet 27th April 1817 are John McPherson and Isabel Fraser so that would appear to be the minister's maids discounted.

That leaves Janet born 28th March 1819 in Ardclach but parents are John MacPherson and Margaret Donaldson; and Janet born Croy 4th March 1820 whose parents are Alexander McPherson and Catharine McIntosh so neither of those. 

That leaves three possibilities: either she was not born Janet McPherson, she was not born in Nairnshire or the birth was not registered or even a combination of any of the three. 

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
She's a trouble maker this one
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 September 16 12:37 BST (UK) »
How about the military, a Fort George connection?

Skoosh.